Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Steerer extenders?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 pm 
Retro Guru

How could I ever be so stupid?
This is my issue: On my my Nishiki NFS I have a Fox 120 RL fork. I have upgraded the bike over the past few years, but I am ready to upgrade the frame. Almost all parts can be transfered, but most frames that were designed around a 120mm fork have longer headtubes then my Nishiki.

My Nishiki has a 110mm headtube and I only used a 5mm spacer. I like a clean look, so I cut the steerer, nice and short :evil:. I am looking at a frame now that has a headtube of 142mm length. Assuming that I can use the same headset, the steerer will only stick out 13mm without spacer.

The Fox fork is in almost new condition, so I don't want to loose that. Replacing the steerer would involve a complete new top assembly and will cost a lot. Now I have been looking at the steerer extenders like from BBB. (pretty heavy though...)
What do you think? Are these any good? Most things I read about it are pretty negative, but in the end it would almost be the same as a quill stem, which we probably all used as well, even on DH rigs!

O yeah, this is what it looks like, although you won't see it under the stem:

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
Retro Guru

I had both sizes and none of them would fit my Marz 2001 Z1 dropoff steerer properly, i got better results from using the larger one and grinding it down to fit inside the tube, but the problem i had was the marz tube gets thicker inside the further down you go, so i had too much extender sticking out the top.

Changed the steerer in the end LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:57 am 
Old School Grand Master

If it's a steel steerer the BBB extender will work just fine; I've been using them for years...

...the purple Kili in my link below actually has a very short, threaded steered fork with a BBB extender 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 am 
Retro Guru

I didn't think of that, but of course all quill stems were going into a steel steerer! The steerer from the Fox is an alu alloy, albeit very thick walled. Hmmmmm.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:06 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

Similar problem, different solution...

Swapped fork from frame A) - short head tube to frame b) - longer head tube, having cut the steerer to fit frame A.... kept the off-cut for some reason however.

Now fitted to frame B, with said offcut replaced insite stem, and clamped together with a Headlock, that clamps it all up

Never mooved in several years, however I will be rebuilding the forks and replacing the steerer in due course

Maybe you could find a similar offcut from somewhere?

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 am 
Old School Grand Master

Even I wouldn't have gone down that route! :shock:

All that's holding it together is the thin bit of alloy in the top cap that the bolt recesses into; it may have lasted years, but I just couldn't put that much trust in such a small piece of alloy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 am 

The steerer is still gripped by around 75% of the stem... so in my capacity as full-time engineer / part-time risk taker, I have calculated on a fag packet that its OK!

Seriously tho, the previous stem was much shallower than the Thomson, and the grip was a conventional type, so worked fine with the steerer just 5mm short. As the Thomson uses the wedge type clamp, is more central to the stem, and is considerabbly taller, I just employed the Headlock to give it a bit of additional support. The clamp still fully engages on the steerer

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:12 am 
Old School Grand Master

Ah, I had visions of the stem being clamped around an almost/totally seperate piece of steerer to the bit the crown race was on, with the two held together by the Headlok!

My bad! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am 

Everyone's an engineer :roll:

:lol:

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:13 pm 
Retro Guru

I guess I get almost to that piont (of having the stem clamped to the extra piece, I mean). I have seen that the frame I am after has not only a 30mm taller headtube, but also uses a normal headset, while my Nishiki has a internal headset. I just hope my steerer will be supported by the top bearing!