Frame for overweight rider, trails & occassional silline

keitht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Trying to figure out which frame to buy for my renewed interest and would appreciate yoursuggestions

Bear in mind I need something beefy ish and that will take a 120-150mm fork. Discs .

I am 5'9" and curently ( ahem!!! 15.5 st...looking to lose at least 2st.

Thinking Cotic BFE, Cove Stiffe, Chameleon, Orange crush/subzero Genesis Aybss Alplitute, On-one ragley,Dialled etc...Ideally a 11/8 headset, but I can always reduce

maybe a another manufacturer I have never heard of

or maybe go full suss, thiugh that market is even more confusing.

Happy to buy 2nd hand, budget around £300...though have swaps if anyone here has something suitable

Can't say enough good things about Chameleons. I've had two..a small used as a jump bike and a large do it all bike. Both were great...they're very versatile too so can be adapted as your riding / needs change.

I had a Sub Zero too and really like that too..not quite as stiff as the Chameleon despite looking earlier.

Good on you for getting off your butt and trying to shift some weight....I was in a similar boat having been off my bike for two years. Lost a stone and a half since January through a mix of cycling, lots of running, weights and swiss ball (gay as they are, I found some evil exercises for them). Got just over half a stone to go. I feel loads better for it too, only downside is my suits don't fit me any more.

I'd aim for steel - Cove Handjob, Orange P7 - Cotics look nice too. Go for the best frame you can afford as you can always replace the bits slow time and, although it would seem obvious, make sure it fits properly!

Ragley frames must be pretty well built in terms of strength and there are a few out there. Take up to 140mm forks as well I think.

I am 16st 12lb and still riding lightweight alu & steel frames from the 1990's. Don't worry about it and just get out riding.

Don't think they ALL ride like dogs. A slightly sweeping statement there IMHO.

I'm currently a similar weight to you albeit without the height :oops: and a concern is how a frame will respond with my mass jumping around on it.

I had a long chat with Paul at cotic and he said that my weight wouldn't be an issue on a soul but given the extra power I'll be developing hauling my weight around while loosing weight the extra stiffness of a slightly heavier frame may be welcome for me hence choosing a BFe instead (well once I order it at the end of the month).

Back