Confused with marzocchi forks....

type49

Retro Guru
Hi guys, I need some help regarding marzocchi mz2 forks. (Yeah I know theyre not the best in the world). Anyways, Im tring to find out if they are oil or air type - sounds like an easy task but their online manual refurs to oil seals & then says about air pressure :? In the troubleshooting section at the bottom, it talks about correct oil amounts???
I took them apart & found no air pressure & no oil, lots of gease though. Would this indicate an air fork, as opposed to oil filled???
Thanks, Kev

http://www.wheresweyland.com/images/200 ... 6-mz-2.pdf

air shocks will have a valve/valves for pumping them up

valve location top of each leg possibly under a cap

Are your forks the same ones in the service manual? There are about twenty million different models and variations of Marzocchi forks, so I'm not overly familiar with most of them. Most decent short travel forks are air and oil: one leg is air, which acts as the spring; the other leg is filled with oil for dampening. Like bigmick says, if it's got a valve on it there's supposed to be air in it, if not it'll most likely be coil springs. Bafflingly, some Marzocchi forks are coil and air sprung.

Cheers for the replies guys. My forks seem exactly as the ones in the link (dont know if theyre 100 or 120 travel) Didnt see any obvious valve & yes, they have springs in both sides, with damper adjusters at the top on both sides. Both sides are well coated with grease inside but no signs of oil?? Can some forks work on springs alone, with no air pressure & no oil damping???
:?

Back