modern road bike ?

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i am thinking about buying a road bike but i want a more modern road bike with dura ace components.
but as i've mainly stayed away from road bikes, not sure what to go for.
what are the frames which are worth looking out for ?
i will just be using it for going to work and putting extra miles in on the road.
and i want the gear shifters integrated with the brake levers.
also is there a good time to buy a road bike ?
i am thinking about how we are doing so well in the olympics, there may be some people going out to buy a nice bike only in a few months to realise its not for them. so there may be a bargain to be had there.
thanks in advance for any advice. jeff.

my lbs dosn't expect sales to go up for a couple of months as people put finances in place. So good 2nd hand bikes in 6-9months time. Even the lowest groupos have integrated brake/shifters, top of the range have both cables for each hidden under the bar tape. In terms of which bike, one that fits you! having just had a bike fitting done by 'bike science' I'd suggest them unless you're miles from them.

I believe Ribble cycles are good value. They'll build one around one of their frames for you, so you can choose your groupset.

JamesM":13qmxmvm said:
gtRTSdh":13qmxmvm said:
top of the range have both cables for each hidden under the bar tape.

105 and upwards!!!

I had a bottom of the range Trek until recently,.and that had the cables concealed under the bar tape!

Most i have seen have the cables under the bar tape. And the outer protects it anyway.

Just been advising a friend who wants a cheap but reasonable road bike (at least for now maybe?). He was looking at the carrera tdf which isnt too bad for the price point but then we found this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Which seems very good value. And if its not for you well then you havent spent a massive amount and could probably recoup some funds.

that's a great deal & lightweight too, just what I was looking for as a hack bike & a good place for the Mrs to start.

looks like a good starter, but why do they put a triple chainset on a roadbike ?
a mate in work just got a carrera tdf. i was shocked to find it weighs more than my merlin.

videojetman":370ypl2d said:
looks like a good starter, but why do they put a triple chainset on a roadbike ?

Because most people in the real world cannot turn a 39/23 uphill for long, let alone after 100 miles and 2000+m of climbing. It's a completely different ball game when you have 17-20 mile climbs.

A compact double has the advantages of low gears but you pay for it with a nasty jump between inner and outer or big jumps between gears.

I will be having my mint trek us postal 5200 with full ultegra for sale after my honeymoon 52cm size :D

Back