Sorted Judy XLC topping out need some advice what to do

m88arx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi like above when the shock goes down and comes back up its like its hitting off something i have read the manual but before doing anything just wanted to ask to see if anyone else has had this. I know theres a damper adjustment but just not sure i can get pics on request

Cheers Marc

The fork should have 2 top out springs, one in each leg............do you have your pre load wound right in so the forks are stiff ? or have they got extra stiff srings in them ?

Do you have the rebound set full on fast rebound ?

otherwise....

One top out spring might be broke (or both)....have you dropped the fork legs and poped the rods out yet to check if top out springs are ok ?

Hi mate and thanks for the reply appreciate it. I have the top two done so there at there tightest and the damper on the bottom also, I have just tried turning the damper loosening it and made no difference i think there are soft springs and probably original to it. I did however take one side ouf the springs out and they looked fine. I was looking at a parts diagram and was in process of sorting the printer out to print out a copy so i can match them with the diagram. Do these hold much oil and what type I am struggling to find this out .

Regards Marc

hi not going to comment on oil as info is online..........but when you said you looked at a spring do you mean the long spring you can just take out easy or the top out spring which would be very short about an inch /inch and a half which is attached to a rod........

if you rebound is not making a difference the there could be no damping on the fork which will make it rebound very fast and hard.

By the way these are for sale if you want something different.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214437

Yeah the big long spring inside I took out. Your forks you have are nice but bike is blue. Not got alot of cash bud so trying to do with what i have not going to be going off road as such more a trail and back on the road for now i dont even know if i can actually ride a bike with my wrists the way they are. I have rode down street and back but thats it i will be looking to going out for like 30-40 mins at first. I have been out on a bike since i had the accident on my old bike and wrecked me wrists.

Once a biker always a biker and am a trier

Marc

I should maybe video me taking them apart will it be easy to see what parts are gone and what hasnt

hi not my forks for sale just saw them..........

Afraid you will have to take big srings out, and take lower legs off to get rods out to inspect top out springs........

if you want me to guide you through it i can ifyou wish just let me know :D

hi i would take out both your long springs, or just one if that is enough to compress the forks by hand...

then lift the wheel off the ground, grab the fork brace and pull up on it then push down hard to see if you can feel spring resistance when pushing the lower legs down away from you......if your still getting a loud tap, then something is a miss with your top out spring/s

is the fork second hand..........just wondering if anyone has removed the top out springs in order to gain space and stuff some longer springs in there......people do this kind of stuff sometimes.

Latest posts

Back