Hope C2's - Confused

nathb

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello,

I've got some Hope C2's fitted to my bike.

Both are Number 3's which I believe are circa 185mm Front, 165mm Rear.

I changed from another set of wheels with hope 5 bolts on them.

So I bought and fitted some Avid G2CS rotors as I like the look of them. I bought and fitted a 185mm Front and fitted a 160mm Rear (came free with the wheels).

I thought being smaller than what it should be the rear would be ok, however this is happening:
WP_000241.jpg

So do I need to switch to a 165mm one or a 160mm Hope one? :?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sorry can't make out anything in the picture but I'd like to say running a rotor that s too small is just dangerous. When you wear the pads enough, the part of them not wearing out because the disc is too small will touch together and instead of clamping disc you will be getting pad on pad contact.

Simple question, what does the rotor actually measure? what does the old one measure?

Sorry, what I was trying to show is that with a 160mm disc the pad is braking on the rotor arms.

So if I used a 165mm disc would the problem not be worse? Or is it the brand of disc I'm using.

At the moment I've put a 185mm hope disc on the rear with a +20 adaptor, but I'd like to reduce it down to 165mm.

The problem isn't the overall disc size, it's that the braking surface on the Hope C2 discs is wider, therefore you're getting an overlap of the pads onto the rotor arms when using Avid rotors. Whilst I like my bike to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible, personally I wouldn't compromise the braking for this purpose, in other words refit the old discs! ;)

Sorry sleep deprivation has caused a major break down of my ability to communicate!

I've switched from a number 2 C2 (one designed for bikes with no disc mount), to a number 3. I also switched wheels from the old ones with 5 bolt hope hubs to mavic ones with 6 bolt.

The question really is what size disc should I purchase? As won't a Hope 165 be too big?
The avid 185mm with the hope c2 number 3 at the front is , however I'll switch to the same brand to match up.

Yeah i was going to say just get a 160mm rotor instead of 165 and that should sort most of the overlap.

Cheers for the replies guys!

This has caused me a huge headache as I swear hope say its for a 165 or 163 rotor.

Just an update, ordered a c2 160mm disc to match my hope 183 one. Really don't want 185mm rear.

They're not the best looking rotors but at least the full braking power can be utilized. Now I've got the basic sizes I may just make my own. They are only made out of toughened stainless steel and I have access to a few pounds worth of lasers. Going to get designing next week, mix the avid with hope.

I think I'm going to sell my 3 avid rotors to try and recoup some money.

Thanks everyone for the help!

nathb":o2c6fped said:
Cheers for the replies guys!

This has caused me a huge headache as I swear hope say its for a 165 or 163 rotor.

It is. There's no such thing as a Hope C2 160mm rotor. I think they didn't start using them until the Mini came out. You can use a 160mm mini rotor though. They have a wide contact area and are available in 5 bolt fittings, and they still crop up on ebay.
What frame is it on? Maybe the frame has odd mount spacing?

Back