Replacement LTS chainstay pivot bolt?

Tweek

Retro Newbie
I'm sure this has probably been asked before - my apologies if so. I have a 1998 GT LTS 2000DS which is an everyday commuter. Unfortunately, at the weekend, the lhs chainstay pivot bolt (arrow) went awol during a ride and made it's escape :( With 20/20 hindsight, I would have Loctited them, especially as I lost one on another LTS yonks ago.

I know BETD are one of the few places still selling spares. So, I wondered if the "GT LTS and STS Horst link bearing kit" at the bottom of:
http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=103&Name=GT+Lts+and+Sts+spares is what I need? If anyone has used any of the other replacement BETD parts to service a 1998-> LTS rear end (ooerr..) I'd be very appreciative of any info as it's developed a very annoying squeak. Cheers!!

Attachments

• LTS2000DS.jpg
    LTS2000DS.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 691
goin to sound strange but check there not the same as chainring bolts think i lost one on mine once and used a chainring bolt

I can't vouch for the BETD stuff on the newer LTS frames, but I had the full bearing upgrade kit on one of my old '96 Team LTS and it made a world of difference. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it completely transformed the bike.

Oh, and it got rid of the squeaks and the need for regular stripping and servicing too..!

The Horst link bearing is the one you need :)

ba57ards":21s25k0f said:
goin to sound strange but check there not the same as chainring bolts think i lost one on mine once and used a chainring bolt

Thanks - it's true in that they're very similar to chainring bolts if not identical...

Barneyballbags":3m4s9srp said:
I can't vouch for the BETD stuff on the newer LTS frames, but I had the full bearing upgrade kit on one of my old '96 Team LTS and it made a world of difference. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it completely transformed the bike.

Oh, and it got rid of the squeaks and the need for regular stripping and servicing too..!

The Horst link bearing is the one you need :)

Thanks for the info and the reassurances that it's what I need :D

I've just gone ahead and ordered two as well as the front and rear bushings and main bearing kit for post-'97 LTS models. I figured I might as well replace everything while I'm at it. I read somewhere that the BETD kits did not come with fitting instructions - can anyone confirm this please?

Apart from the squeak, the bike's in pretty good nick. I got it for $350 a couple of years ago from the original owner when I was living in Southern California and shipped it over to Copenhagen when we moved. It was in almost original condition (with slicks) and had been ridden back in the day at Big Bear. The owner also passed on to me a spare Coupe Deluxe shock and what's apparently a team-issue lower linkage. I'd always hankered after another after having my (pride & joy...) white DS2000 half-inched a decade ago when I was a student...

Thanks for the help gents - much appreciated!! :D

My kit didn't come with fitting instructions, but if you replace the pivots one at a time, it's simple enough. You just need something to drift the replacement bearings in with.

Or, if in doubt, take it to your LBS ;)

Back