Couple of brake and shifter questions...

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Possibly looking at giving the Surly KM another makeover :?

1) bike has Avid BB5 ROAD disc calipers which I don't really want to change as I bought them new and they've just bedded in nicely, so what flat bar levers would work best:

Avid SD (adjustable pull)
or
old style canti levers (ie Deore DX)?

2) if I go to hydraulic brakes what brand would you guys recommend?

3) 9 speed thumbies - any tips? Pauls? some kind of DIY set up?

Cheers,
Al

I cannot fault shimano disc brakes. Reliable, so simple to service, very powerful always consistant and good modulation.

Bleeding can be done by an absolute novice and its almost foolproof.

Hardly ever require bleeding and use safe and stable mineral oil, not the corrosive DOT fluids that Avid prefer for some steange reason.

XT you can't go wrong. The latest version with the one finger levers are phenomonal.

if you are staying with BB5 road calipers then you need canti levers . road levers have the same pull .

maybe the avid can be adjusted enough to cope with the difference in pull but not 100% sure .

I think the sd's may well end up being spongy. Go for pauls or real levers?

Hydro brakes - everyone will have a favourite. Im on hopes at the moment which i quite like.

I've been looking at 9 speed thumbies myself the last couple of days... pauls or velorange mounts with dura ace bar end shifters is one option, but I've seen that microshift make a pretty decent looking thumbie, I think it's model SL A-10, the cheapest I've found new is about 90 euros delivered on ebay, so quite a bit cheaper than buying new paul mounts and dura ace.

cchris2lou":1detgsdq said:
if you are staying with BB5 road calipers then you need canti levers . road levers have the same pull .

maybe the avid can be adjusted enough to cope with the difference in pull but not 100% sure .

yeah this is what I'd like to know... only one way to find out for sure eh? I know my DX levers should be ideal as they are designed for cantis... but specifically the pull adjuster on Avid SDs - is it designed to adjust between v and canti pull, or is it just for altering the feel of your v's and (non road) mech discs - or both?

foz":568z4hu8 said:
I've been looking at 9 speed thumbies myself the last couple of days... pauls or velorange mounts with dura ace bar end shifters is one option, but I've seen that microshift make a pretty decent looking thumbie, I think it's model SL A-10, the cheapest I've found new is about 90 euros delivered on ebay, so quite a bit cheaper than buying new paul mounts and dura ace.

these?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... vers+-+MTB

look nice, very light and colours suit my build :oops: just need to deal with the snob value now?? seems they come OE on Moonlanders?

they're the ones. They look pretty nice, and while expensive they're still cheaper than pauls + dura ace, unless you can find a used set. if you get some, let me know how you get on with them, I think I'll be sticking with 7/8 speed for now.

Ive got a set of Avid SD levers you can try if you want to swing by the BBQ on saturday?

G

unkleGsif":2s7vpr3c said:
Ive got a set of Avid SD levers you can try if you want to swing by the BBQ on saturday?

G

got some already, never sell SDs I say

but thanks, and hopefully bob by to sample a sausage anyway!

Al

Back