BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Recently bought a set of forks from eBay. Asked the seller about the condition of the stanchions and he said they were unmarked. I'm not likely to be using these for a few weeks yet so want to get some advice before I leave feedback or contact the seller.

One of the stanchions does have a small (maybe 2mm) scratch on it approx 1.5" below the crown. It's not very deep but has just gone through the coating. I'm not bothered about it cosmetically but will this affect the forks operation?

Potentially - yes.

Realistically - probably not.

I say 'potentially' as any damage to the stanchion could, in theory, affect the performance of the fork although in many cases it makes no difference whatsoever.

I've had loads of forks (DH mainly) with slightly marked stanchions. So long as the scratch isn't deep (which you've said it isn't), then it shouldn't cause you any problems, especially as it's on a part of the stanchion which won't come into contact with the seals all that often, being as it's close to the crown.

You could always fill the scratch with some clear nail varnish and a very fine brush. Just make sure you completely wipe away any excess from around the scratch. Again, this is something which I've done before and which has served me well.

If the scratch is above where the lower legs overlap when compressing on the trail should be fine...otherwise will ingeast water and dirt quicker and then rub/wear around seals.

Back