Races

dan1978

Dirt Disciple
I have always wanted to race but for some reason never have. :oops:

Whats the average distance for a race and the times completed in. Oh and the difficulty (technical ability) required. I am thinking of participating in one but I am worried about fitness and looking a fool riding retro and coming hours behind everyone else. Don't mind loosing but you have to have some dignity.

Just been to Dalby and completed the red run and some of the black overtook a couple of people and I liked it. :twisted:

Are there category's for newbies..

I only race for fun. I've done it twice so far and both times came second to last.
It's fun as long as you don't take it seriously.
Although I was a bit annoyed when a fat woman with kids was telling me to hurry up.

i did the midlands xc series in 2009, after a 14ish year gap.....it was a real blast and you will enjoy yourself, just dont take it too seriously......the standards of fitness for those at the front of the sport category and upwards are high.....aim to finish to start with, you will soon see where you are in the order!......the person at the back will be cheered as loudly as those at the front so get stuck in!......the course standards varied, from open rolling grass at one meet to very technical at others, the course at hanchurch in stoke was named 'the widowmaker' and i should have guessed what was in store there......lungbusting granny gear climbing on root infested singletrack to 20 foot deep bombholes and off camber hairpins in dark woods......was great though, my mrs even entered for one fun lap once she sampled the atmosphere.....go and have a go!! :D

i'm the same with a 14 year gap and i know what you mean about the lungs bursting thats what was worring me if i could actualy finish. Not bothered about being last so long as its not gone tea time and everyone has gone home.

my experiences were

1) start in fun/novice....you will feel better finishing further up the field surounded by other 40 year old dads like me, having loads of fun, as opposed to taking a kicking from trophy hunting elite level riders in sports category, riding carbon exotica and team sponsored jerseys.....the standards are higher than the early 90's!

2) use bar ends.....dont bin them under the pretext of saving weight.....you will be glad of a change of hand position when your heart rate has sat at 180bpm for an hour, your glasses are opaque with sweat and your too knackered to wipe the mix of lucozade, powerbar and snot that is hanging from your chin, as it will mean having to support your whole upper body weight on one arm for 3 seconds!....

3) stay to watch the veteran race...there wont be many in it, but it is an abject lesson in what you could achieve if you can ditch the doritos and stella artois for more riding for the next two decades!.....

:D

your really selling this to me. Sweat and not mmmm. i woul'n dream of ditching bar ends not when the frame is cromo

proof of my stupidity!.... :D ....thats my brother in law at track edge.....you cant hear him, but he was shouting things like 'come on you fat b@stard' and 'do you want salt and vinegar?' at me......

2008-9226.jpg

feetabix":376rqs4n said:
i did the midlands xc series in 2009, the course at hanchurch in stoke was named 'the widowmaker' and i should have guessed what was in store there......lungbusting granny gear climbing on root infested singletrack to 20 foot deep bombholes and off camber hairpins in dark woods......was great though, my mrs even entered for one fun lap once she sampled the atmosphere.....go and have a go!! :D

Hanchurch is my local forest. See here for the Google Earth tracks, 2010 XC Series course. http://sdrv.ms/MQrUHC

stewlewis":2a5tmitn said:
feetabix":2a5tmitn said:
i did the midlands xc series in 2009, the course at hanchurch in stoke was named 'the widowmaker' and i should have guessed what was in store there......lungbusting granny gear climbing on root infested singletrack to 20 foot deep bombholes and off camber hairpins in dark woods......was great though, my mrs even entered for one fun lap once she sampled the atmosphere.....go and have a go!! :D

Hanchurch is my local forest. See here for the Google Earth tracks, 2010 XC Series course. http://sdrv.ms/MQrUHC

oh god no!.....dont make me look again!!!.... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back