Are M975 XTR brakes really this crap?

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just can not get any real power out of mine. New pads (XTR) and rotors (Avid) a while ago, plenty of time for them to have bed in. Cleaned everything with alcohol the other day and a bit better but still, my Avid Black ops V's are much better.
Any hints and tips?

Think he's talking disc brakes, only used Avid Elixier (5's and SL's) so can't really comment but they certainly stop better than canti's or V's, Only niggle is howling rear but it improved after I'd sanded the disc for a while so I gues I might try a new disc.
If they don't work then there's something wrong because lots of people swear by them on other forums.
Matthew

Doh!
I agree, people do swear by them but my mate said his m775 brakes didnt have enough power (i guess final power if that makes sense) for dh.

Maybe thats the softly softly shimano approach?

Are they bedded in properly? Several (Magura recommend 30+) sharp stops from 20mph, giving them minimal time to cool down. Do that and you'll be too knackered to go for a ride.
If you want some decent brakes I have some Magura Martas going spare...

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.s no contamination on them?

My old Saints were great and I found the Shimano sintered pads to be pretty good in terms of offering good bite. I'd check the alignment as mentioned and ensure that both pistons are moving freely.

They should be a big step up from V's...a lot of people are running the trail version on DH bikes.

Back