Recomend me a decent lock

MonkeyBoy76

Dirt Disciple
Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I'm after advise on what's a decent quality lock. Just got my missus a nice bike so we can go exploring... well she'll explore, I'll try and jump things and fall off no doubt. Anyways we will need to lock the bikes on odd occasions and as I'm so far out of practice with this stuff thought I would ask on here.

CheeRS in advance for any help :)

Well my missus isn't a big lass and will be using it more often than me. Will be for th eodd commute to work (weather permitting as I'm not getting out of the car in the current weather), office parking is under CCTV and my desk looks straight out on it so it doesn't have to be OTT.

Thinking something along the lines of this maybe?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thule-538-Ste ... 4d00ff4029

TBH I don't leave my bike anywhere as it's not insured due to the massive hike in my house insurance premium covering it :(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
We_are_Stevo":23uyep6n said:
The most expensive you can afford...

...and the heaviest you can carry ;)

http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-ch ... tAodqkD5IA

Yes weighing the bike down with a ton of gold ingots should keep the bike fairly safe and difficult to move :LOL:

Cryptonite always used to be the best, their new york series IIRC, but they're bloody heavy. Where are you thinking of locking and for how long i.e. in a country pub garden over lunch or if all day at the train station, then I'd be adopting an african child soldier to stand guard.

LidL at the moment, have coated cable. 5m looped at both ends for i think £8 :? that with a bike lock or serious padlock would work for both bikes if you have to leave them.

Got me a £40 Abus lock. No too heavy and strong as an ox. Abus locks are easily rated on the packaging as well. As has been said, as heavy as can be carried and as much as you can afford.

Sage advice.

trelock are similar to some of the abus ones. i like my D locks long - there are lots of lampposts and railings that wont let you lock against if your d lock is too short - means i can also lock more of my bike (i.e. through frame and rear wheel).

I wouldn't use a cable lock for anything decent. A lad I work with lost his keys to his cable lock and asked if I could help as I have access to tools. Despite him assuring me I would be lucky to get through his lock without a grinder my Felco cutters did it in one easy cut. D Locks all the way for me, or chain.

I have one of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-millennio-phantom-185cm-cable-bike-lock/. It's Abus' highest rated cable lock and it's long enough to go through the frame and both wheels. It's quite heavy and bulky though. However, cable locks aren't very secure at all and can be cut in seconds if a thief has tools.

When I have to leave the bike for longer I use the cable lock as well as an Abus U-lock, it's one I had for a motorcyle a while back and while it's probably stronger than any bicycle U-lock, it weighs about 3kg, so it's not exactly convenient.

Sadly, I don't think you can get a lock or chain that's small, light and really secure. Best deterant is to ride a bike that looks crummy, even if it's actually half decent, and that nobody will be bother to steal.

Back