GT Brian lopes 4x chain line help please.

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, I took my Lopes 4x bike into my LBS today to get my new gears and what not set up. Now my problem is the chain line seems to be out and when running in the lower gears the chain jumps off the front chain ring and lands on the bb shell, its set up as 1x9. The guy in the shop is saying I need a chain guide for it but the cheapest one he has is £70 and I dont have that spare right now. Is there no other way of sorting it like putting a spacer or two in the bottom bracket axle (external bb) to kick the chainset out a bit? Any help would be great. cheers Rob

I have had this before hence why i normally run chain device (used to come off alot).

Some people do fine though.

Chances are you will have 3 spacers on there, generally 2 on the left side and one on the right. I guess you could put all 3 to the left but check to make sure there is enough bb thread going in. Not sure id trust it.

Hi Rob,

You probably will need a chain device - or some Race Face cranks that have a set of axle spacers to allow a degree of movement of the cranks. Either way, you'll probably need to splash some cash.

What side of the crank spider are you running the chain ring? Have you tried moving that to the inside / outside of the crank spider to see if that helps?

Superstar do some pretty cheap chain devices.....failing that a second hand one?

Yeah thats what I'm thinking, I'm running the chain ring on the inner side og the spidee as I've got a bash guard onthe outer. col I'll go have a look at superstar.

You may get away with a roller tensioner like a Blackspire Stinger. Some added tension may help it. If you can stretch to a proper chain device, it'll be better in the long run.

It does amaze me how much people get away with charging what they do for a chain device, especially now that bash rings are no longer common place.

Yeah I'm in no desperate hurry so I might just get a few pays in then start looking. Yup prices seem very high.

No no It wasnt axle length I ment it was the chain ring size for the bash guard its 104 bcd. Even tho I got mixed up and said 4x110 bcd with was the wheel spacer size for my old Honda quad! DO'H!

Back