Octalink crank problem

konafan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I wonder if anyone can solve my little problem with these cranks?
I bought a pair of (cheapy) hollwtech cranks and octalink BB on here, and having fitted them to the bike, I find the non drive side has some noticeable play in it's facing with the splines on the bb. I'm not familiar with octalink and have to assume that the correct bolts and bits with it are correct. The hex head bolt has a plastic collar that it seems to sit within??
Initially I tried tightening upo the bolt but it obviously reaches a final point and can't take up the wobble/play any further.

Any ideas?
Cheers guys.

Offending item>>

IMG_3886.jpg

Is it the correct octal ink bb? The metal cup was only on XTR or road from memory, which is a different spline to the cranks you have. Do you know the model numbers?

I think that that style metal adaptor cup was also found on XT ES70 and ES71 bbs, which should work with the Deore crank. XTR bbs had much shorter splines, around 5mm compared to all others being around 10mm. There should be a thin washer under the bolt head ~ is that present and correct?

can you see if it's the arm moving on the bb axel or if it's the axel moving inside the ring/cup ? just to add road octolink and mtb octolink have different size splines, hope u don't have a road splined bb

That's a good point as it is quite easy to pop the crank on , think it's engaged on the splines ready for tightening, but actually not on proper, then when you tighten it can damage the sines, i know i did this once :oops:

I appreciate all the input chaps, I've not gone awol, just not had the time to investigate yet, Sunday is my chance. :D

Back