Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:03 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Get yourself some of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7- ... 415wt_1039
Better than a lot of hydraulic set-ups, a piece of p*ss to set up and maintain and no more bleeding bleeding :D
I've got a set of avid levers you can have to go with them, so let me know if you go down this route mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 pm 
Retro Guru

makster wrote:
Get yourself some of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7- ... 415wt_1039
Better than a lot of hydraulic set-ups, a piece of p*ss to set up and maintain and no more bleeding bleeding :D
I've got a set of avid levers you can have to go with them, so let me know if you go down this route mate

Very kind of you sir :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm 
Retro Guru

Quote:

Blimey, that's only £1.02 more than CRC want for a pair of rotors alone! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I saw those when I was looking for some BB7's.
I decided in the end that they were too cheap....
I don't know if it was the right decision or not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

A friend of mine fitted a pair of those HK BB7s to his Gary Fisher 229.

From what I can see they are not cheap rip-off copies and work brilliantly (I have BB7 roads on my InBred 29er).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

In answer to original question before it all went discs are the only real alternative. Yes you can fit rear canti/V brake posts to that frame by use of a BMX derived V-Brake plate:
http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsdnvps
Discs are great before you all think I'm anti discs but it is closer to answering the original question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
Retro Guru

velomaniac wrote:
In answer to original question before it all went discs are the only real alternative. Yes you can fit rear canti/V brake posts to that frame by use of a BMX derived V-Brake plate:
Discs are great before you all think I'm anti discs but it is closer to answering the original question.

Thanks for the link :D , i had a feeling that it would be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

velomaniac wrote:

That's looks like it bolts onto the caliper mount on a BMX frame. The bike in the picture only has a mudguard/rack mount on the wishbone, it's unlikely that this would go all the way through to the other side as the kit intends. You could drill it though I suppose! Also the cable boss is in the way by the looks of it.
I wouldn't be happy using jubilee clips to keep it in position either!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:59 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

If a single bolted caliper brake on a skinny brake bridge can stop a cyclist roaring down an alpine pass in the TDF why is it a concern to have a v-brake mounted with one bolt and two jubilee clips. Any incident that would break that would also bust a normal frame mounted brake. Plus the brake plate comes from the world of BMX, not famed for their finesse and delicate touches. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:13 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

velomaniac wrote:
If a single bolted caliper brake on a skinny brake bridge can stop a cyclist roaring down an alpine pass in the TDF why is it a concern to have a v-brake mounted with one bolt and two jubilee clips. Any incident that would break that would also bust a normal frame mounted brake. Plus the brake plate comes from the world of BMX, not famed for their finesse and delicate touches. :roll:

1) v-brakes are more powerful than calipers, if they wern't then we'd all be using them.
2) The frame still isn't designed for a caliper brake, so it won't fit as intended without modification.
3) using jubilee clips to attach brakes to a bike frame is crazy.
4) BMXer's (from what I've seen) only ride for a few minutes, whereas mountain bikes before to ride for more like hours between stopping and checking if jubilee clips have moved or something!
5) Tearing down a hill at 30mph and having a brake failure / brake jam in spokes is going to be worse than overshooting at the finish of a BMX race!
5) The frame isn't designed for v-brakes (or calipers) so you would be applying forces in an area not designed for them.
:roll: