expedition bicycling: rack/carriers etc...

yeti-man

Senior Retro Guru
(Sorry I did not find any suitable category for this thread...)
I am planning a 3000km bicycle trip, but I am not familiar with what the best rack/carrier setup is. I know that much about gravity that I know the trick is to get the weight as low as possible. I am going to travel through some quite remote pleases and need something rough and study. I saw this setup and especially the front rack looks quite good but cant figure out the brand.

So any tips/tricks about expedition/long distance cycling are welcome...

11+1+11+130.jpg

Tip 1. -Know how to build,true,repair,jam between 2 roadside railings and twist wheels :LOL:
Serious Tip 1. -Buy a very lightweight down jacket.Something that really packs small.After a day in the saddle you will feel chilled when you come off the bike,especially if its in the evening.

Tape some spare spokes to the chainstay..
Google for "tubus" racks, they should meet your expectations.

Yeti Yak, ideal tool for the job....

The questions I would start with is where are you travelling and over what terrain...? why?

Well if it's off road in peru then what you pack will vary say from cycling around the u.k. or most of europe

If it's your first tour then you will I absolutely assure you ...you will pack more than you will need because of that just in case feeling.

The bike you showed was a surly long haul trucker a fine bike but that might explain why the surly racks are fitted also. The front at first looks handy.

I've toured the states before and lot of europe and found the sjs/thorn racks to be bloody brilliant. the key is weight distribution.

Personally I used their expedition rack with their own lowriders then used smaller ortlieb panniers on the front for the bulky and light stuff..jumpers etc. Then used the larger panniers on the back and the top of the rack will allow for a roller pannier for the ten t& sleeping bag. If budget allows also a map/bar bag is very handy

Tyres..general consensus and for me experience...Schwalbe marathon, used to be xr but the new supremes are good also

Anyway I've babbled so I'll post some good links that might help

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-and ... ept31_pg1/

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f ... aa11ee677a

Between these three links you will find every bit of advice and reference you will ever need

Thanks for the tips - the Surly racks looks so rugged and solid but a bit weighty. The Tubus Titanium looks smart and light. Far lighter than the Surly 1.5kg steel racks. I am not so sure about the Blackburns - I have seen some cracked and bend Blackburns over the years.

Blackburn are very hit and miss and value for money I would certianly use them on town bikes and occasional few days away as my load is less

take for example the thorn expedition rear rack...with 5mm screws/bolts to the mounts it rates as 40 kilo limit but with 6mm mounting bolts that goes to 60kg limit. I fitted the 6mm bolts buy try and keep it at the 40 level

clothes...be prepared for the most important word on clothes for touring...wicking. Clothes that can allow as much sweat out as quickly as poss and if soaked can dry real quick. it's better to layer also so you can adjust very easily and quickly your body temp.

the much overlooked area of a touring bike..wheels wheels wheels. get a good set made specifically for hard graft and weight or identify the ones you want then hunt for a bargain

where are you thinking of touring? I ask because some credit card tour ...i.e. some nights camping but most nights a b&b..this keeps the load down but obviously cost up or just straight camping?

Back