Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:34 pm 
Retro Guru

xerxes wrote:
Quote:
eat nettles!

Kellogg's variety packs of cereals are all the serious survalist needs.

Yep - you're compelled to eat 5 days worth at a time, it's current survivalist-theory I'm certain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:10 pm 
Retro Guru

ferrus wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Quote:
eat nettles!

Yep - you're compelled to eat 5 days worth at a time, it's current survivalist-theory I'm certain

Regarding food best energy vs weight there is only one; Real Field Meal (NATO prooven) http://www.drytech.no/drytechen/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=70&Itemid=53&preset=orange. The best thing about Real vs the standard old Military rations is that Real realy taste good and give you lots of energy. Real have been prooven in military services around the world, climbing expeditions, trans arctic and trans antarctic expeditions etc. Most other products (commercial branded) dont give you enough energy in relation to weight and mass. You might feel full, its like base you rations on rice and bread... not good! The Real Field Meal rations gives you 1400cal per ration. And if you put in 1dl grape oil in every meal and every thing you drink the effect of the calories increase. I tried this out on a three week winter climbing exspedittion. The average temperature was -25 degrees for the whole trip. After three weeks of skiing and ice climbing all participants had gained 3-5 kg during the trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:16 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

yeti-man wrote:
ferrus wrote:
xerxes wrote:
Quote:
eat nettles!

Regarding food best energy vs weight there is only one; Real Field Meal (NATO prooven) http://www.drytech.no/drytechen/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=70&Itemid=53&preset=orange. The best thing about Real vs the standard old Military rations is that Real realy taste good and give you lots of energy. Real have been prooven in military services around the world, climbing expeditions, trans arctic and trans antarctic expeditions etc. Most other products (commercial branded) dont give you enough energy in relation to weight and mass. You might feel full, its like base you rations on rice and bread... not good! The Real Field Meal rations gives you 1400cal per ration. And if you put in 1dl grape oil in every meal and every thing you drink the effect of the calories increase. I tried this out on a three week winter climbing exspedittion. The average temperature was -25 degrees for the whole trip. After three weeks of skiing and ice climbing all participants had gained 3-5 kg during the trip!

Did almost the same trip 16 years ago, lots has improved in gear and food since, good luck and enjoy your fantastic country!
ps, do you include the Rallarvegen (Flam to Haugostal part) and the very scenic pass from Laerdal to Aurland?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:18 pm 
Retro Guru

I should have added a :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

ps, TUBUS racks are great and a Rohloff would be ace too :wink:

or this:

http://www.tout-terrain.de/fahrraeder/silkroad/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Very lightweight racks are generally rubbish. Go a bit heavier, so it can do its job properly; if you want lightweight, get a saddlebag.

That Surly rack is probably great, but also probably overkill. What kind of terrain do you expect to cover? If you are going to be offroad a lot, there's an advantage to mounting the bags higher, however if it's on road, lowrider racks will be better to keep the weight down.

If you're going to be doing a lot of touring, well go on and get yourself some good racks. For a one-off, I'd be tempted to save a few quid and go for Blackburn ones. There's very few racks that wouldn't survive one holiday, and you'll go for a shakedown ride before you start - right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm 

great food too

http://adventurefood.com/no/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:29 pm 
Retro Guru

yo-eddy wrote:

Hmm needs testing - thanks :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I will look in to the Blackburns again - they have probably improoved over the years...

Another question is what bike I will use. I have several candidates and at the moment my Ritchey AscentComp is what I plan to use, but will be tested on a trial run this summer. But then I am thinking... traveling +3000km would a disc brake rigged bike be better, and should I go drop bar or flat bar? suspension seat or not? adjustable stem for making variations during the trip etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 pm 
Old School Grand Master

And who could forget the new tourist's best accessory?

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next