Single speed question

jskdog

Senior Retro Guru
I've nearly finished my on one single speed and took it for a spin with an 18T on the back (cant remember whats on the front but it's a middle ring) and it was pretty good. Im considering taking it round Gisburn and was thinking of maybe a 20T on the back. Does anyone know if you can use the individual sprockets from a cassette?I have a 9 speed one that fell apart in the spares box so I've got a full range of gears, but are they ok for using like that? Looking at them they don't seem as chunky as single spped specific ones but the chainline on my setup is spot on.

Thanks for that, I thought they would be ok. It's an a2z one so just uses spacers over the existing freehub body.

What is the freehub body made of? If it's steel or ti you're OK but if it's aluminuim the cog will dig in and wreck it in no time. That's why SS specific ones have a fat footprint...

I would imagine a single speed sprocket to be thicker too since it has no friends on either side of it for support.

Single speed sprockets also have taller teeth and no shifting ramps so the chain does not skip out or off the sprocket if the chain tension or alighnment are less than perfect.

Back