Really quick XTR Front Mech question

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Can anyone tell from this picture, if this mech is top or bottom pull?
(I am thinking top pull)
ShiXTRfd-m953.jpg

Also, why are the M953 front mech's so different to the rest of the series?
Its the last missing peice in my jigsaw

G

top pull. makes no sense as a bottom pull - pinch bolt is located too far over the top of the cage as well.
the channel cut into the pinch bolt surface would indicate the direction that the cable rests and is pulled.

i could be wrong, but, as a general rule, i think dedicated top pull front mechs have the band higher than bottom pull/dual pull....

Top pull. I think that they just ran on an old model to meet customers' needs - volumes were probably too small to justify a redesign. Frankly, most of the 'redesigns' are mainly about styling anyway. :roll:

There are a fair few other bits (non-series) that they also run on - RX100 deep drop brakes existed for years for road bikes for example, long after RX100 became Tiagra.

twain":80g74eih said:
the channel cut into the pinch bolt surface would indicate the direction that the cable rests and is pulled.

That was my thinking, just wanted to confirm it with another brain :LOL:

twain":80g74eih said:
Top pull. I think that they just ran on an old model to meet customers' needs - volumes were probably too small to justify a redesign. Frankly, most of the 'redesigns' are mainly about styling anyway.....

And I am a sucker for styling. These M953 versions are much more elegant than the rest of the range ;)

G

That is a Top Swing Top Pull..

The M953 was the Gruppo to include a Top Swing design, I have a Top Swing Bottom Pull on my '96 Billy where the suspension lower pivot prevents a Bottom Swing being used..

7208112320_39363a87fd_d.jpg

Back