Problems with new wheel and disc alignment - help!

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I picked up an Orange Evo 8 hardtail off a mate this weekend and have set to transferring the bits from my Genesis to it. I'm really struggling getting the brake caliper aligned and can't get it far enough away from the wheel to have the disc in the centre of the caliper. The previous brake and wheel were fine on the Evo and the Genesis so I'm confused! I guess the caliper mount on the Evo must be slightly closer to the wheel than the Genesis but I don't have the adjustment on the caliper. I don't want to hack at frame or disc caliper so can only think to trim down the disc caliper adapter by a mm or two to get clearance.

Any other thoughts would be much appreciated :S

by the sound of things you have post mount calliper on an adapter for IS frame and you are unable to move the calliper outwards.

I had simkilar problem when I change from XT to XTR rear adapter and resolved it by filing the holes in the calliper. Note the cause of the problem - different adpaters (even from the same manufacturer) put the calliper in slightly a different place so maybe you could buy/bottow/steal a different adatper to see if that cures you problem.

Ofcours this assumes that you have pushed the pistons all the way in....

That's the crack. It must be the position of the IS mount on the frame, but it was fine with Deore wheel. Got an XT one on now and I'm a mm or so out. Think I'll keep playing with the adapte as I don't want to damage the caliper or the frame. Frustrating!

EarlofBarnet":37552dzj said:
It must be the position of the IS mount on the frame, but it was fine with Deore wheel. Got an XT one on now and I'm a mm or so out. !

woah, hold on this is a different story - if you have changed hubs and the disc has moved outwards then surely it is the hub at fault?

Can you see any way by using spacers on the axle to move the hub over to the right? (1 mm would not make any different to centring the rim in the frame).

... you have centre lock rotors?

Yup, new rear wheel. Was fine in old frame though, no issues. Don't think I have the room on drive side though without risking chain hitting frame when in bottom gear.

if you post some head on close up pics we should be able to resolve this for you.

You may need the disc mount facing or there is something obvious that your missing in the excitment......what brake are you using ?

greenstiles":wc3kja7k said:
if you post some head on close up pics we should be able to resolve this for you.

You may need the disc mount facing or there is something obvious that your missing in the excitment......what brake are you using ?

+1 for pics :? im trying to get my head around this too :? personally i cant think of what the problem is.
An IS frame.
An IS to post mount adaptor.
A post mount caliper
Fit mount to frame as close to the rotor as you can without it hitting the rotor bolts and tighten.
Place PM caliper on top and leave loose
Spin wheel then pull brake hard,hold brake and tighten up caliper bolts.

I guess you know the above :) but a PM caliper has a fair bit of sideways adjustment and if the adaptor is fitted and not interfering with the rotor/rotor bolts then it should line up :?

Facing the mounts only removes a tiny bit of metal and is only really necessary if the brake is sitting skewed or vibrating excessively :?

on the very odd occation you can remove more material on a disc mount, but it's rare that you have to.

It's the first time I've had this problem and I've worked part-time on/off in bike shops over the last...14yrs.

IS frame mount and IS to PM caliper adapte done up tight to frame. PM caliper on mount and I can't move it far enough across to the left (when sitting on bike). It's as far as it'll how and wheel will just and so turn. Was fine with the same set-up on old frame, just need a mm on this new frame. New frame was fine with different wheel on it.

Will get pics up this evening. Can only think to file down caliper adapter by a mm to give me clearance.

Latest posts

Back