Forking FOX forks.

ratbane

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm looking to replace the 2009 Rock Shox revelations on my Cannondale RZ4. I fancy the sound of Fox plushness.

The Fox range is confusing to me. So what do the experienced RBers reckon would be the best option. I'm running standard QR Cross Max, and a non-tapered headtube.

Just well used really. Fox forks always seem a bit plusher on mates bikes. Could be my setup mind!!

Could well be.
The revs rated best in category from bikeradar fro the past couple years although i think its the marz micro ti ones now. Very nice they are too.
Fox seem to have a lot of inherent problems that are overlooked for soem reason.

I'm a big fan of Fox forks - I'm on my third pair now and no issues.

I've had two pairs of 32 Vanilla R's (130mm travel and the later 140mm nes). Neither of which I could fault - they both took loads of punishment and I never had any issues with stanchion wear.

Current running a pair of 36's which I love - light, super plush and very stiff.

I would keep it simple and go Float of Vanilla as there is less to break. Not a fan of the Talas forks personally.

I'm one of the few people who don't like Rock Shox....my coil Pikes were a pain. They were under sprung, the U Turn controlled itself and there were no spare springs in the box like Fox's.

I don't know whether my opinion will help or not but having 3 sets of Revs (2x 140 mo control dual air & 1x black box 150 solo air), what I will say is the difference between the motion control versions and the black box versions is way more than I expected... Motion controls seem quite 'boingy' and quick sprung even when you dial in a slower rebound or run them with lower air pressures, where as the black box versions seem more sqishy when you stand there and compress them but get them out on the trail and they are more controlled and feel a fair bit plusher.... Could you possibly change the damper as it may save some cash?

Mind you saying that I've just ordered a set of Fox Float 160's so will be interesting to see how they compare :cool:

The more letters after the fox model name the more adjustment the fork has :D
On the right leg-
R= Rebound[all forks]
RL=Rebound/lockout[RL,RLC,RLT]
RLC=Rebound/lockout/low speed compression[RLC only]
Blowoff threshold adjuster[RLC,RLT,X]

On the left
Preload[coil forks]
Aircap[Air forks]
Travel adjuster[TALAS]

I can't really comment on modern Rox shox, but Fox are agricultural junk as far as I'm concerned.
Poorly made, poorly designed, poorly damped, and bleeding annoying altering the compression damping every time you lock them out...
Having said that, maintenance is piss easy for a blind monkey wearing boxing gloves.

Thanks all. I have digested, and cogitated, and have come to the conclusion that I'm gonna tune the Revs!!

Back