Fox fork servicing help update

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Got these but theyre in need of a service as something is rattling around in the left leg[i think :?] when i pull it to its extent.
If anyone knows what can go wrong internally id love to hear it.
I dont think this is a major issue like somethings broken or anything like that,just maybe loose
Think its a vanilla 130mm RLC as when pulled to its extent it measures 130mm
2005[:?] and 32mm stanchions

Attachments

• fox3.jpg
    fox3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • fox4.jpg
    fox4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,070
They're relatively easy to service and the Fox service guides are really good. I can service them for you if you'd like for cost of materials.

left leg needed a bit more oil in those forks than manual says when you build back up.....always used to get fox of that era through the door with worn stantion on left leg due to lack of lubrication,

They will be 125's as they had an extra 5mm buffer travel if that's the right word.....you can confirm this by seeing what size black spacers they have .

One thing i would recomend is use a good ring spanner on the lower nuts (and use a socket for the top caps !) and don't overtighten them after, but watch for any leakage then just nip um up a bit.

I've done those forks mant times as a mechanic and owned a few pairs. Happy to give advice. :D

greenstiles":3e13f4ts said:
One thing i would recommend is use a good ring spanner on the lower nuts (and use a socket for the top caps !) and don't overtighten them after, but watch for any leakage then just nip um up a bit.

I've done those forks many times as a mechanic and owned a few pairs. Happy to give advice. :D

Im getting to grips with it now[well was] ive got my trusty waterpump pliers in place of a 26mm socket :D.Just the 2nd side to undo,buggers are tight :p

EarlofBarnet":28qbf8az said:
They're relatively easy to service and the Fox service guides are really good. I can service them for you if you'd like for cost of materials.

Ill do a pic later but it appears to me like the spacers are missing and as the lock out and damping on the right side seem slack might be that there is something amiss there also :? not sure because it all looks in place,but it could have been the lack of spacers being fitted that was throwing that side off or preventing it from operating properly.
Ill put it all roughly back together and pm you a note for address etc :)

Pic of last nights revelation

If anyone can identify sizes,part numbers links etc dont be shy :D

Attachments

• Fox something RLC 003 (Large).JPG
    Fox something RLC 003 (Large).JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 945
  • fox_vanilla_service08.jpg
    fox_vanilla_service08.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 935
Back