26er or 29er

jujupunk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Looking to build a new bike, but I'm stuck between getting a 26 or 29er

Looking at building an on-one frame but can't decide. I mainly ride trails and single track and compete in the odd XC race.

Any input greatly received

:cool:

I'd say try the 29er, I love mine and for general XC and trail duties they work really well. If you don't like it they are pretty hot at the moment so you wouldn't loose much ££ if you decided to go back to 26". You could try to get a test ride but I reckon it takes a bit of time to learn what they can do.

I'm glad I didn't listen to Tintin when he gave advice on my 29er thread, because if I had I wouldn't have a 29er now.

And I love it. :D (no offence Mr Tintin. You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong) :LOL:

Kaiser makes a very strong case. I think he might know what he is talking about. ;)

swinging to the 29er.. will take a little longer to build but I think having both (26 and 29) would be best... like Kaiser says, If i hate it, I'll sell it!

going for the on-one inbred I think, looks a good price! :cool:

I can get 26", 650b and 29" wheels in my new frame. Having tried them all my main conclusion is that 26" wheels feel slow.

For jumpy work I'll be sticking to the 26 though... for now.

If you're considering full squidger then I'd stick to 26, but for general use a front squidge 29 comes into its own.

Just remember its not all plain sailing - slower to accelerate, like-for-like the wheels are more flexi, greater surface are to clag with mud in poor conditions, heavier. They bring a lot of downsides but for general trail use on moderate conditions or better they can be a good grin.

My only modern bikes is a rigid 29er.

I love the retro stuff but, as a bike to be "ridden" this is the first bike that actually fits me. I realized that the first time I tried one, and bought my own within a few months.

No more of this:
bear-on-a-bike.jpg

Back