Coloured brake disc caliper bolts?

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sure alloy is strong. The consensus will be to avoid here though. I expect mostly due to alloy not being as strong as steel and more likely to fail catasrophically in a very sensitive area (brakes).

I have however run some blue ones (not the above) on my dh bike but havent had major use on them as i rarely ride (woops).

Its not ideal though, i would love for it to be, but its not.

Re: .

Grannygrinder":2vnhodcl said:
I wouldn't use alloy bolts for mounting calipers, very soft metal compared to steel ;)

so the hubs would be alloy the frame rims etc alloy but the bolts holding the rotors in place will be steel

maybe im missing something but surely the steel bolts would be more likely to make the alloy hub fail

@ bigmick : he's looking for the bolts that mount the caliper to the fork, not the rotor to the hub. On the caliper's end, there are different forces at play, and they're being applied to 2 bolts as opposed to the 6 on a conventional rotor.

I've been on the lookout for red caliper bolts too, but can't find anything I can rely on.
I tend to brake at the very limit most of the time, so if I were to use alloy bolts, within a few miles the front caliper would probably rip the bolts apart and shoot straight up.

I ordered some coloured steel Ashima bolts to try out for my shop - will let you know what i think of them.

I have found the coating on some steel bolts to be a tad rubbish. This is however with lots of chopping and changing so ide recommend putting them in last if they are a finishing touch.

Back