7 speed to 9 speed

m88arx

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hi there i am changing my gt lts 3 to a 9speed but someone mentioned to me about the bottom bracket

Would i have to make it bigger or get a bigger one lol
standard bb is 73x113 at the moment but with the two extra rings was thinking should i change the bb for a bigger one

cheers and sorry for these daft questions of mine comes with being a joiner measure 3 times cut once

Bit anyway you still need the chain set in almost exactly the same place - the centerline is only a couple of mm different.

hamster":24t1pyq5 said:
Bit anyway you still need the chain set in almost exactly the same place - the centerline is only a couple of mm different.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother changing the bottom bracket only for this reason. And I didn't when I converted some time ago.

But you can get a 7 speed cassette on a 9 speed freehub body and only need limit screw adjustment, and on a 7 speed freehub equipped hub the spacing is largely the same?

Im not very good at explaining things sometimes.

I had my MF Alu Comp converted years ago, but Im sure I got a new set of wheels at the same time. As long as the frame has 135mm and not 130mm spacing between the dropouts on the rear, you should be fine. Get hold of a cheap 9speed cassette and see if it fits, unless anyone else can advise?

Back