Help me identifying my Bombers...

medoramas

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought some nice Marzocchi Bombers few days ago. A guy I bought them from says these are Marzocchi Bombers Marathon, model 2002, but on their website there is only Marathon S, which looks different.
The forks have a sticker on the right leg Mg Arch. On the bottom of the legs, near the drops there is "00", which I assume is the year of the components. They have no external controllers, just two valves. They are 80mm travel.
What are they exactly?
IMG_20120623_164609.jpg

IMG_20120623_164554.jpg

IMG_20120623_164632.jpg

On the pictures they have a mudguard fitted - lovely Summer we've got... ;)

It could be that they made a 2002 Marathon with no S for OEM purposes and that might be what you have there. Both the 2000 date stamp and the older-style disc mounts suggest that your lowers are from 2001, but your crown looks like my 2002 Marathon and is different from any 2001 crown. That's the kind of thing they would do on a OEM model.

My Marathon doesn't say it's an S anywhere, but it is the blondie colour and it does have Marathon decals on the inside of the legs plus a doppio air sticker near the dropouts. On mine, the knobs at the top are a different pattern to yours, and I have two valves inside the left one for compression and rebound and the right one is an adjuster. It weighs 3.2lbs with a 180mm steerer.

Thanks, Anthony, for your reply.

I contacted the guys from tftunedshox (the forks deserve professional service) and they reckon they are a Z4's. Well, they said they will be able to fully service them, so as long as they work perfectly I don't really need to know the exact model :-D

I think they are at least 01's which was when the bonded arch first made an appearance.....I think forks from 2000 still had the bolt on brace.

It is possible that they are an 0.5 model....I had a pair of Z150's that I think were 2003.5's....they had air assist like the 04 versions, but top caps that were somewhere between. The guys from Windwave were pretty confused too!

Mindmap3":hxkm2mnm said:
I think they are at least 01's which was when the bonded arch first made an appearance.....I think forks from 2000 still had the bolt on brace.

It is possible that they are an 0.5 model....I had a pair of Z150's that I think were 2003.5's....they had air assist like the 04 versions, but top caps that were somewhere between. The guys from Windwave were pretty confused too!

2000 model was the M-arch introduction, but some still use the BAM brace.
do a search for the 2000 X-Fly for instance.
IT's sort of a bonded arch, more glued and screwed ;)
2000 General Information
http://www.wrower.pl/instrukcje/Marzocc ... mation.pdf

But they're all pretty similar between the models and bushing/seals are the same anyway.

Manuals are in loads pf places, in addition to Marzocchis site
try
http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm
and
http://www.wrower.pl/instrukcje/instruk ... zocchi.php
and google search

There's tweaking-tech info in our archive cover up to I think 2000

medoramas":346vfxp6 said:
I contacted the guys from tftunedshox (the forks deserve professional service) and they reckon they are a Z4's. Well, they said they will be able to fully service them, so as long as they work perfectly I don't really need to know the exact model :-D
Two ways to test whether it's a higher model like a Marathon, or a lower model like a Z4:

a. what does it weigh?
b. has it got a steel steerer or aluminium?

Contact Windwave (UK distributor) with the serial number that's on the back of the crown in-line with the steerer tube and they'll tell you exactly what it is. They'll also service it for you.

Back