rigid/hardtail frame opinions

simonlovell99

Senior Retro Guru
I am looking to start a new bike build/project and after a hardtail frame. The sort of frame i am looking must have a small top tube (21") in steel. Something that can be used all day day built light with rim brakes (hs33s) and p2s (or a 4" fork) and be able to be fun off road on singletrack

Is there a frame out there, that would suit one self. After trying numerous options. hardtail then full sus, rigid then back to full suss now rigid again. I should make up my dam mind what I want! :)

My GT Avalanche would be pretty good like that, had the same kind of set up, 120mm forks, m4 disc braks, i think with 33's it'd of been a winner.

The DMR is a good suggestion. Maybe a Kona Chute (or similar), Azonic DS1 or a Santa Cruz Chameleon. All can be had fairly cheap.

I don't have one myself. Google some pics. They turn up regularly on ebay and forums. Good luck.

ok, thanks so far for the suggestions. i am trying to find a kona chute 98 with the yellow and grey. i keep checking evilbay

Preferably light steel frame, for all day rides on road and which can be a good hoot off road on singletrack. Is there something, I have tried several options, the near best I found was a coyote ht4. Which was great, apart from being long top tube and stiff box section stays. Mainly to use with a rigid p2, but also 80/100mm fork.

Kona chute is alu, with P2s its going to be pretty rigid and you will feel it in your wrists offroad.

Back