Cheap helmet cams

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
This is not really a 'retro' question, so I thought I'd better put it here.

I have access to a Go-Pro, and we've managed to get some reasonable footage, but we are still learning how to get the best from it, and also there is always the worry of wearing someone else's £300 camera :shock:

So, I thought about getting one of the cheap as chips 'action' type digital video cameras, as seen on 'the bay'.

Does anyone have one?

Are they any good? (accepting they are cheap)

I bought a couple of these from ebay, like the one in this link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Key-Fob-Ring- ... 4ab87f72b8

And considering they are only a few pounds the recordings were very good, i have used them on a few rides and some track days in the car, the only issue i had was that i had to cover the microphone hole with blue tack to eliminate windnoise and the micro card costs a few pound extra though. And mine didnt seem to record well in poor light.

And you have to be inventive in fixing it to the bike/car.

But cheap as chips and i never worried about loosing/breaking it :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
yeah i have the same one, only used it a couple of times, to busy riding to think about turning it on!! that said, i had on the front mudguard of my bandit 600 when returning from dropping off a sold ebay item and got some pretty good footage considering it was only held on with one piece of velcro!!

i'll upload it to youtube, then link it here so you can see what it was

:D

Impressive for something that costs next to now't! Just bought one :LOL:

Familiar roads from the IOW randonnee...the climb up the down was a bit quicker than me... :oops:

Just ordered one!

I was going to spend a mighty £30 on one of those 'action' cameras, glad I posted here, just saved myself £20!

Too late !

I have one of these (which is I think the newer version of the keychain one). Takes a bit of trial and error to get best results but I've had some great footage.

If you look on ebay for MD80 DVR there are loads of em. I think I paid about £12 to get it from UK in a box with all the extras and then about £5 for a memory card.

This ones has various brackets for mounting so much easier than the key one.

133862677556.jpg

I saw those, but wan not convinced I could attach it to my helmet.

Open to more suggestions, as I doubt the keyring camera is particularly weather resistant!

Comes with 3 different brackets (bottom right one with cable ties goes on helmet nicely with a blob of bluetak to adjust angle !).

It also has a silicone rubber case to go over tho I wouldn't trust in really foul weather (I thought about clingfilming it).

MiniDVtopbodyico3.jpg

Back