Thought i'd write this to hopefully prevent a few headaches
I have a set of the above and decided to upgrade the ano parts to red to match in with my other red ano bits on the Mystery Ti
4 reservoir caps,2 calliper bore caps and 2 lever blades comes in at about £70
Swopping the caps over is an easy job but i thought the bore caps would be tricky as they need to go though the calliper from the inside out[new style] The levers i also thought would be easy but fiddly[which im not good at]
Right enough the bore caps were a fiddly messy job and a bit tricky to refit,but not too difficult for the wheelcraft mechanics to do even though they havent done this model before.
The big problem ,and this is the reason for this post,was the bite point and lever reach adjusters
At the back of them is a tiny circlip the type of which that doesnt have a wee gap to lever it off,theres nothing but less than a millimetre to grab with needle nosed pliers
He tried,i tried,he tried and together with a sharpened spoke end eventually got the bloody things off
Right you think now it will be easy to unscrew the adjusters freom the old lever and screw them into the new red one,replace the circlips and bobs your proverbial
The adjuster screw ends had mushroomed over and wouldnt come out
These brakes ive had for about a year but havent put them through much certainly not heavy squeezing to cause the ends to flatten like that.Took a bit but in the end i had to unscrew them myself using a cloth to protect my fingers and because any damage would be my responsibility.
I forced them out with great difficulty undoing a bit then easing off and repeating till they were out
Now they wont go in to the new levers
Mechanic had to file the ends and dress them which he did and now they go in
A job that should have taken 30-45 mins took nearly 3hours.
While talking to the boss [Big Al] he suggested phoning hope to tell them the problems and although i didnt want to because it was from his phone and i could end up very annoyed at them,but by then he's phoned them and passed the phone over
I explained what had happened and that the mushrooming had not only caused much extra work but had left the adjuster screws a little less secure than they should be.the circlip is on but you can actually unscrew them completely with the circlip coming right off the end.
Must say the chap on the phone was excellent and very attentive.I didnt feel there was anything else they could do as to me it was just a heads up for them.
Im about to hang up when he tells me he will send me free gratis new bite point and reach adjustment screws and which colour would i like.
I laughingly said Team Green
to which he said Sure. No problem.
Theyll be in the shop in a couple of days
I dont like red+green and to be honest wouldnt want to disturb the old ones and put the mechanic to any further bother so they'll be getting hidden away in the special stash
Seems if you want to upgrade your levers,dont try to remove the adjusters also that would cause too much hassle,best to replace them as well.
Im, saying this because when i bought all this stuff there was nothing to say that the original adjusters can and do mushroom slightly
1976 Raleigh Chipper,1991 Muddy Fox Adventurer,1991 Claud Butler Ventoux 400 ,1992 Raleigh Diablo ,1992 Rudy Project, 1995 Cannondale M200 ,1997 Santa Cruz Tazmon ,1997 Specialized Stumpjumper ,1997 Specialized Rockhopper ,1997 Marin Quake 9.0,1998 Marin Pallisade trail ,1998 Raleigh Torus,1999 Orange Clockwork , 2005 Kona Hahanna ,2007 On-One Inbred ,2010 Orange Pure7 And of course The Ti
The Marvellous Mechanical Hope Collection ,and other Hope niceties