GPS help please!

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
has anyone had any experience with the garmin edge 500 and/or bryton rider 35T? both seem to do pretty much the same, but the bryton is a fair bit cheaper. Any bad points about either of them?
The only thing I don't like about the bryton is it's a bit chunky/square looking compared to the garmin, but I am leaning towards it as I can get the complete package with HR and cadence sensor for the price of the garmin head unit on its own.

thanks, Andy

Depending on your intended usage I was put off the 500 because I wanted to be able to load a route and follow it and the 500 has lots of known glitches which crashes frequently

I do believe just used purely as a stat recorder its fine though

edge 500 records absurd amount of data from your trips. To use as gps guide is complex and tricky...

I have one for 500 km and never crash for now

Thanks for the replies. I don't intend to use whichever gps I get for following a route, as it's very unusual that I ride in an area that is completely new to either myself or someone I'm riding with (and if I do head into the unknown, half of the fun is not knowing where I'm going and how I'm going to get back!). both the bryton and garmin seem to have more or less the same recording capabilities, which is what I'm after. What I'd like to know is if there are any niggles or problems or things that you would like to do but can't with either of them, or just in general things that you don't like. For example I think I read in a review of the garmin 200 that you can't see the clock while in one of the riding screens, or something like that (I'm not really considering the 200 and I don't think this is the case with the 500, but it's the sort of thing that is useful to know - with severe restrictions on time I need to know what time it is when I'm out riding!)

Photos of each mounted on a stem would be useful too, as I think that's where I'll be using it. They look too big to go on the bars, and I don't like extensions that go out in front of the bars, so the stem seems like the logical place. Hopefully they won't look too big or be too high though... a side shot of each would be great!

foz":2g3bh9vj said:
Thanks for the replies. I don't intend to use whichever gps I get for following a route, as it's very unusual that I ride in an area that is completely new to either myself or someone I'm riding with (and if I do head into the unknown, half of the fun is not knowing where I'm going and how I'm going to get back!). both the bryton and garmin seem to have more or less the same recording capabilities, which is what I'm after. What I'd like to know is if there are any niggles or problems or things that you would like to do but can't with either of them, or just in general things that you don't like. For example I think I read in a review of the garmin 200 that you can't see the clock while in one of the riding screens, or something like that (I'm not really considering the 200 and I don't think this is the case with the 500, but it's the sort of thing that is useful to know - with severe restrictions on time I need to know what time it is when I'm out riding!)

Photos of each mounted on a stem would be useful too, as I think that's where I'll be using it. They look too big to go on the bars, and I don't like extensions that go out in front of the bars, so the stem seems like the logical place. Hopefully they won't look too big or be too high though... a side shot of each would be great!

In my edge 500 you have 3 screens where you can custom each from 1 to 8 divisions in each scream so you can put the info you want. Currently i'm still trying to set all the options available and set the best screen but in all i have watch.

Back