M975 xtr brakes.... Qualms

v12jat

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just picked some 975 brakes to stick on my giant anthem. The hoses were too long, so I bought the new inserts and olives off eBay (that took over a feckin week to arrive :evil: ) and shortened the hoses. The only thing standing between me and getting out on it was a bleed..... I thought this would be simple having done some slx's in the past... Wrong!

Ended up following the instructions and there were no bubbles anymore, still the levers go right the way to the bar as if they've not been bled! Am I just useless at bleeding brakes or am I missing something?

To make matters worse I spilt the bottle of fluid in the garage like right clumsy twonk so I have no fluid left :oops: :oops: :evil: :x

Oooo bugger.

I bought a 1l bottle of mobil dot 4 ages ago to the claims of ' you will never use it all!'. Think it was around £10.
Used about 250ml already and thats probably getting on for a year now.
It means i dont have to worry about every last drop like i did with the tiny tiny expensive bottles.

I tend to bleed with new pads in and nothing in between, then when done push the pads back out.

I took the pads out and wedged a bit of wood in between the pistons, good job I did as fluid was p*ssing everywhere ha ha!

Was hoping to use it in an xc race on Thursday night too but that won't be happening eh!?

Think I'll admit defeat and send to the LBS :shock:

Thursday is ages away!

Im guessing you have to book it into the lbs in advance?
If so, do it for wednesday. Buy fluid on monday and have another go on tuesday with the pads in? (Just dont get fluid on them, wrap cloth around caliper, or use some buggered ones with good life on them).
Then if you mess it up again it can go to lbs. If not cancel booking and pat on the back.

Unless of course you only have time on the weekends.

try walking away from it overnight.
gravity can sometimes bail you out if your lucky and the problem will sort itself out. worked for me a few times ;)

Takes a while to get bubbles out of the buggers, it does help by lightly tapping the hoses and calipers to get any bubbles to move up to the reservoir.

i went back to them, but time wasnt on my side so its in at the lbs! dont reckon it'll be back till friday unfortunately! the chap in the shop commented on how much of a pain in the arse these brakes are too... i could have told him that ha ha!

look like they have reservoir cap so has reservoir and should be a piece of pee to bleed compare to the ones without that need twin syringes.

with that tpye of brake, you undo the bolts so the master cyliner is horizontal, top up the fluid in the reservoir, pull pull on the lever, open then close the bleed nipple, release the lever makin sure there is enough fluid in the reservoir.

Back