Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm
Posts: 1290
Location: Looking at my bike from the comfort of my sofa!!
My Reba's arrived today, but I now need a post mount adapter thingy to fit my brakes......

...I need the right adapter to fit this:

Image

...To these:

Image

there are about 80 different ones on CRC.... :?

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.... 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
misteroo wrote:
Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.... 8)


Use the Force, Misteroo.

The adapters depend mostly on the disc size. So we'll need to know what discs you'll use. That looks like standard IS spacing on that caliper. IF that is correct, you can select the right Post-to-IS adapter for your disc size.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 1103
If you want to keep the disc size the same you need one of these "160":

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product

One of the only disc mounts adapters that means you don't need a bigger disc. However it has some clearance issue with some forks - best to ask clee cycles if they fit rebas / they say they will refund if it doesn't fit.

Of course if you are happy to buy a +20mm disc then there are lots of different adapters to buy on CRC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm
Posts: 1290
Location: Looking at my bike from the comfort of my sofa!!
Raging_Bulls wrote:
misteroo wrote:
Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.... 8)


Use the Force, Misteroo.

The adapters depend mostly on the disc size. So we'll need to know what discs you'll use. That looks like standard IS spacing on that caliper. IF that is correct, you can select the right Post-to-IS adapter for your disc size.


ok....I presume I need the diameter?

...165mm...does that sound right?..Ive been told they are Hope discs...if that helps.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:15 am
Posts: 1887
Location: Getting fitter, I will beat the Surrey Hills....
was8v wrote:
If you want to keep the disc size the same you need one of these "160":

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product

One of the only disc mounts adapters that means you don't need a bigger disc. However it has some clearance issue with some forks - best to ask clee cycles if they fit rebas / they say they will refund if it doesn't fit.

Of course if you are happy to buy a +20mm disc then there are lots of different adapters to buy on CRC

Right, I have the exact same forks and tried to mount a number 8 caliper with one of these adaptors. Even with this adaptor that adds no size to the required rotor, the rotor sat proud of the disc. I gave up in the end which doesnt help I know, but check what rotor a 5 caliper takes (i emailed Hope and they got back to me really quickly) and get a +20 rotor just in case.

Not sure this helps much, but will be interested to see if you can get around this.

Good luck :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 11:03 am
Posts: 18218
Location: Sunny Glasgow
No5 on the front is 165mm if the fittings were correct.
Normal practise to be 185 or 205mm with that calliper so you need a POST to IS +20mm
185mm
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13735

Or is there more to it than im understanding :oops:


Last edited by dyna-ti on Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
Yep one of above, looks like though with that caliper ypur going to need a 180 or so disc.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/02products_04adapter_03.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 1103
Whatleymeister wrote:
Right, I have the exact same forks and tried to mount a number 8 caliper with one of these adaptors. Even with this adaptor that adds no size to the required rotor, the rotor sat proud of the disc. I gave up in the end which doesnt help I know, but check what rotor a 5 caliper takes (i emailed Hope and they got back to me really quickly) and get a +20 rotor just in case.

Not sure this helps much, but will be interested to see if you can get around this.

Good luck :wink:


Very strange!


See this thread, specifically the post linked to with the image of the rebas running a hope brake:
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... st-3504981


BigG wrote:
What you need is one of these http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product. No increase in rotor size. That's a 180mm Hope disc, no increased size or change to the calliper.

A pic of how it looks on the bike (nowhere near as pink as it looks on the ad).

Image



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:35 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:01 pm
Posts: 1290
Location: Looking at my bike from the comfort of my sofa!!
was8v wrote:
Whatleymeister wrote:
Right, I have the exact same forks and tried to mount a number 8 caliper with one of these adaptors. Even with this adaptor that adds no size to the required rotor, the rotor sat proud of the disc. I gave up in the end which doesnt help I know, but check what rotor a 5 caliper takes (i emailed Hope and they got back to me really quickly) and get a +20 rotor just in case.

Not sure this helps much, but will be interested to see if you can get around this.

Good luck :wink:


Very strange!


See this thread, specifically the post linked to with the image of the rebas running a hope brake:
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... st-3504981


BigG wrote:
What you need is one of these http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P1043/product. No increase in rotor size. That's a 180mm Hope disc, no increased size or change to the calliper.

A pic of how it looks on the bike (nowhere near as pink as it looks on the ad).

Image



OK...so does this means I will have to get a 180mm or as mine is 165mm do i need to go to 185mm??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:11 pm
Posts: 1103
misteroo wrote:
OK...so does this means I will have to get a 180mm or as mine is 165mm do i need to go to 185mm??


Its very confusing isn't it. What I would do is buy The "KCNC 160" off clee cycles. This claims to not need a bigger disc so just use your current disc - it puts the IS mount in the standard position.

However it might not fit your forks. And according to whatleymeister it didn't put the caliper in the right place for him.

If it doesn't work for you then return to to clee cycle, they say they will refund. Then buy this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13735 and a +20mm disc so a 185mm disc from Hope which will 100% work but obviously costs more as you have to buy the disc too (not a bad idea to go to 185mm though).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group