Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:19 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm 
aka Leo Swayer
aka Leo Swayer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 6365
Location: Wales.UK
coomber wrote:
Pics. I want an update on your thread!


No real progress to speak of :?
My boss is on his hols next week so i could have made the bushes then, was it not for the fact that i am on holiday too :x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:34 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 am
Posts: 9399
Location: Devon
You should never book a holiday the same time as your boss!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 pm 
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
Gold Trader / rb Rider / Special
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 am
Posts: 16165
Location: Rurally close.
Cant you pop in and make some?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:59 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Brighton
Grannygrinder:
i just had a sleeve made by a member off this forum.
i ordered bushes for my Fox rear shock for M8 rather than M6 :oops:
the sleeve fits nice and snug :) i do have a spare one that i reckon i could pass on to you :) providing its the right length (or at least the right length for you to cut down) its 40mm long, 6mm ID, 8mm OD.

i went down the same route as S-M but found that the quality of the bore through the tubing was off, so one side of the sleeve was thicker than the other, also, it was a fraction of a mm too small so the bolt didn't slide through nicely.

not sure if this is what you need (its not threaded as it was for the shock mount linkage)

PM me if interested :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:25 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:14 pm
Posts: 341
Location: Newcastle
twain wrote:
i went down the same route as S-M but found that the quality of the bore through the tubing was off, so one side of the sleeve was thicker than the other, also, it was a fraction of a mm too small so the bolt didn't slide through nicely.

not sure if this is what you need (its not threaded as it was for the shock mount linkage)

PM me if interested :)


Yeah i saw that tubing as well, was that not the alloy version?

My B&Q is really badly organised in this section, so everything was all over the place, i picked up the version you described and i remember it being off, not sure why, i was about to give up as the section that was supposed to have the steel pipe in it was empty (bar some threaded bar :roll: )

Then i spotted the bargin bin and found what i was after :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:52 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Brighton
yeah, it was the alloy tubing - all of the rack samples were off. they did have some steel tubes of better quality but none the correct dimensions :(
tried in 2 B&Qs round here with no luck! so gave up and asked a chap on here who kindly obliged! did a good job he did :) shock is up and running on the FSR now, but i've now got an 'A link' bush problem. upon further inspection i think its slightly worn on the drive side (a bit of play makes a small 'clunk' noise0 - took me a while to sniff it out as i thought it was the wheel axle.
looking to get some bearings to replace it all now (trying to piece together some needle roller bearings off the bay with some more bushes made up for them. should work out cheaper than the BETD stuff.
or i may just bite the bullet and buy the kit :S i'm skint anyways so it may not happen for a while :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:36 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:14 pm
Posts: 341
Location: Newcastle
i found most of my rear play was actually from the stock rear shock!

Back end feels pretty tight, it even seams a bit stiff before it actualy moves, which seams to work great for pedal antibob while sitting down :lol:


I have held off on the bearing kit because i suspect that it will take a lot more maintainence to keep it happy, but i have not ruled it out.

My mate was winging about having to replace all the bearings in his newer Enduro after a year, don't fancy that much. The way i look at it, the bushes in the bike at the moment have probably lasted about 14 years!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Brighton
good point! it may be worth (and cheaper) to just replace them like for like :)
i just hope its not the frame hole that's worn rather than the bush itself!

need to take a proper gander at it to see whats going on :S

i would imagine the linkage would be more plush, but i'm not sure i'd notice the difference - and as you said, it probably serves as a built in anti bob mechanism :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:24 am
Posts: 713
Location: Edinburgh
twain wrote:
good point! it may be worth (and cheaper) to just replace them like for like :)
i just hope its not the frame hole that's worn rather than the bush itself!

need to take a proper gander at it to see whats going on :S

i would imagine the linkage would be more plush, but i'm not sure i'd notice the difference - and as you said, it probably serves as a built in anti bob mechanism :P

have you changed the shock eyelet bushes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: Brighton
bigmick wrote:
twain wrote:
good point! it may be worth (and cheaper) to just replace them like for like :)
i just hope its not the frame hole that's worn rather than the bush itself!

need to take a proper gander at it to see whats going on :S

i would imagine the linkage would be more plush, but i'm not sure i'd notice the difference - and as you said, it probably serves as a built in anti bob mechanism :P

have you changed the shock eyelet bushes


not sure what you mean here - if you are referring to my 'clunky' issue, its to do with the A links (by the rear dropouts). my shock bushes are fine - no play in them...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group