Rear mech banging on frame

Feedback
View
I have a 2006 Kona Shred running full deore group set, the problem is when I change gears into 3rd at the front and 9th at the rear the rear mech is about 5mm away from the chain stay so every little bump the rear mech smacks itself into the chain stay

Please help

where is the rear mech adjuster set?
the one on the back that adjusts the mech body angle by means of a small screw that tightens against the hanger.

mountainbikerjohnnyb":372c2hjt said:
Not 100 percent sure, I haven't touched the adjuster since it was bought off crc, I think it's at it's preset

one things for sure, if its a new problem, and you havn't changed any parts, something must have moved :D

Yeah adjust b tension screw.

I had this a while back on my dh8 frames with deore mechs.
Switched to sram and they dont go as close now - different design. I think the shadow shimano mechs sit further away too.

could be the cables pulled through or stretched a bit.
check the cable tension with the chain on the bottom cog. you can add angle to the rear mech by pulling the cable through a bit. but not to much as it will start missing the bottom cog if you do.

any pics of your problem?

crossland":1m5a4deq said:
could be the cables pulled through or stretched a bit.
check the cable tension with the chain on the bottom cog. you can add angle to the rear mech by pulling the cable through a bit. but not to much as it will start missing the bottom cog if you do.

any pics of your problem?

Finally taken some pictures, sorry about the quality

Attachments

• Rear Mech (1).JPG
    Rear Mech (1).JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Rear Mech (2).JPG
    Rear Mech (2).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 478
one way or another, you need a bit more angle on the mech.
does the b screw actually do anything? apart from resemble cheese that is :D . that can easily be replaced with a nice stainless cap head btw.
the b screw or cable tension will be the answer. how is the tension when on bottom cog?

You need to adjust the screw near the dropout. The one that actually touches the mech hanger.

If adjusting it (screw it clockwise) doesn't tilt the mech into a position where you have more clearance, the internal spring is most likely broken. In that case I'd suggest changing the mech. It's just a Deore, not worth mourning really.

Back