Shimano M765 disc brakes or Hayes Stoker carbon Disc...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

After a bit of advice really. I currently have Hayes Stoker Carbon on my 2008 Marin Riftzone that came with it as stock. Either the 4 years have not been kind to them or they are not all that. The stop fine but even after pad change and bleeding they still feel "spongy". I have the chance to put a 4 month old Shimano XT M765 disc set levers, rotors etc. What are opinions on both setups good and bad appreciated!

Wook

Googling the Shimano you list shows they have same brake lever as on my four pot XT. Absolutely nothing worng with them and that design is really easy to bleed.

Also the caliper is identical to XTR so can't be bad either.

dunno about the hayes but you won't go wrong with the shimano.

Hmmm I like the look of the hayes levers over the XT i have to admit...But performance is what I'm interested in. One thing I have heard is that due to Mineral oil being used they are not so good in cold climates an go sticky around zero oC....any experience of this anyone?

Ok well here are my thoughts.

The Hayes always felt a bit spongy on the lever and also rattled! Apparently the Hayes previous to this model was criticised for being to "wooden and stiff" That said they do stop well but sometimes with some whirring sounds.

Having now ridden the XT M756 set up on the same bike I have to say I prefer them. More of a solid feel to the levers and good stopping power too. Very little noise when breaking and were a doddle to set up. (the Hayes were a real bugger to not get them rubbing)

Asthetically I prefer the look of the Hayes and the carbon levers do look nice as I also have carbon fibre bar ends. But the rest of the bike is XT so matches up well just think the levers look a bit cheap.

SOoooo! In conclusion:

- Hayes - Softer action, Good stopping, look good.
- XT - Solid action Good stopping, not so god look!

Just my opinion and I'm sure people may prefer the softer feel of the Hayes so I guess 50/50!

Wook

I have the Stroker Ace brakes and they have bled up pretty well....they do rattle though. They are not as on / off as my previous Mags and Nine's.

Are the hoses OK? Just wondering if some air is getting into them somehow?

I love Shimano brakes as well - I had a set of the original Saint brakes and they were great. Easy to look after (not that they really needed much TLC). I personally prefer working with mineral oil because it doesn't damage paint if you do have a spill.

Shimano all the way.

Carbon levers may look nice but they'll come off worse than a set of normal ones in a spill!

Hi

Yeah new hoses less than 6 months ago on the Hayes along with an oil change/bleed and new pads! Finding I'm getting on a lot better with the Shimano now though so going to stick with those for the time being...

Back