shimano shifters and rapid rise rear mech

crossland

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
ive been busy making many changes to one of my rides this week.
replaced xtr 965 brake setup with hope mono's, which took the xtr brake/ shifter combination off the bars.

there lies the problem!

ive got the rapid rise rear mech. which if im not mistaken, will only work in reverse on thumb shifters. unless theres a way round it that i dont know about?

over to someone with more knowledge than myself :LOL:

cyfa2809":2mrxcbqd said:
BUy another mech is the only way around it?

thats what im thinking. unless theres a shifter built for purpose?
and still need shifters. as the sram units i bought are not shimano compatable.
jeez its not been a good week lol.
maybe a sram mech is the cheapest least hassle answer.

If you have no preference that sounds like your best bet.
I have no idea if there is a 'reverse' shifter but seems unlikely as its all built into the mech.

cyfa2809":1eaa2lyp said:
If you have no preference that sounds like your best bet.
I have no idea if there is a 'reverse' shifter but seems unlikely as its all built into the mech.

right now my preference is to stop giving my bank account a good kicking.
for a little while anyway.
reverse shifter would at least let me keep my group together. or try the thumbies in reverse and see how i get on. would deffo give me a good chance of catching somenoe trying to steal it :)

Your rapid rise mech will work with any Shimano shifter - rapid fire, twist grips or thumb shifters. (and very nice they are too).

Don't buy a SRAM mech as it won't work with anything other than a sram shifter - which will kinda limit your options. :) (+ they're made of cheese)

Reluctant":1cdu17ts said:
Your rapid rise mech will work with any Shimano shifter - rapid fire, twist grips or thumb shifters. (and very nice they are too).

Don't buy a SRAM mech as it won't work with anything other than a sram shifter - which will kinda limit your options. :) (+ they're made of cheese)

but how practical is it in use?

the rear mech, in relaxed (no cable attached) position sits on the top ring. then with cable attached, moves down the cassette, under cable tension, rather than up it.
so the thumb shifters would kind of work in reverse.
or am i getting this wrong?

RR will work absolutely fine with other shifters, the only issue is if you use a shifter with numbers in the window they'll be backwards, It wont matter what the cables doing in its relaxed state, the only thing odd is getting used to shifting up the block with your finger instead of your thumb :cool:

it sounds like to much fun not to try it.
especially as the rest of my rides are set up in standard configuration.
wonder how many times im gonna naff that up on a big hill :LOL:

be good for a laugh :LOL:

Yeah, give it a go, see if you like it, if you cable it up and just leave the end uncut but coiled up on itself it'll be a 2 minute job to change it if you don't like it :cool:

Back