Reccomendations for a good car rack

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
Hi gents.....its time i got a good car rack to transport the bikes around, im sick of having to hoover the car out after every foray on a sunday afternoon....it needs to fit a hatchback car without a towbar, and ideally take three bikes, more if possible!....what are you lot using and how are you finding them to use?...... :D ....links would be great!....

Saris bones is popular as are Thule products

I use roof carriers (Thule) so can't say which of the above is best, but both are mentioned a lot on forums as being very good stuff

thanks andy....the saris rack was my first thought too, i have seen plenty around....i will investigate in the morning!.... :D

this should be a good topic, I would like a good car rack as I have a hatchback car and no roof rack.

However, the top of the boot lid where some of the straps go for most rear mounted racks is a plastic strip that houses the central rear brake light, making it useless for attaching things to. I am running out of rack options at the moment and I have hunted for something suitable, so has anyone else gotten around this?

Guess I could just keep chucking it in the car :roll:

Buy a roof rack and fit San Remo bike racks to it (fork mount) unless you have carbon forks. It's cheap and simple.

Unless you've got a modern car with CANBUS electrics and deep rear bumpers and stuff, towbars are cheap and easy to fit. Worth considering :)

Thanks boys......just to make it clear, I don't own the car I currently use so a tow bar isn't an option at the minute....the roof rack seems a better option as it won't obscure the window and lights, but again, not an option on my current car.....so it seems a rear rack is the way. How do the bikes not swing fore and aft under braking?....I presume they are strapped as well as clamped to prevent this?.....I also need to keep the wheels on to allow the kids and bags to get in..... :D

Back