Well I blame TinTin40* .. LMTTM's attemp at weight weenie!

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Over the winter I had been tinkering with my Voodoo Djab with a view to give racing a try in 2012.

For one reason or another I haven't got around to it. However I have got interested in minimizing weight where possible :oops: (This bit is Tony's fault!)

To put it into perspective though this is weight weenie for a larger rider. At 6' 3'' and circa 97kg it will be weenieish but not crazy. If I could get down to 21lb I would be happy.

➡️ So the basis for my build my 20'' Djab:

IMG_0134.jpg

In this ^^ build its 24lb 8oz weighed on a Park Tools scale.

After a bit of shopping at XCRacer its 23lb 5oz is still pretty portly.

Sooooooo ......

After being convinced by my LBS that carbon isn't to be feared I managed to pick up one of these second hand in 21'' guise:

rawmtbframe_vergroting.jpg

Weighing in at an honest 1072g for their largest frame it should see a fair bit of weight dropped off of my current build - should be somewhere in the region of 700g!

That coupled with going 1 x 9 with a 34T ring and some lighter rotors I should be heading in the right direction.

Moving up from a 27.2 seatpost to a 31.6mm post may sway me to try a carbon post - I figure the extra girth may make for a stronger post. That said I don't fancy carbon splinters in the b...hind!

This will be weight weenie on a budget though. The build above was about £1000 ish with bits purchased second hand etc.

One down grade I am contemplating is ditching the discs for V brakes! I have a pair of XC717 rims and the frame is rim brake compatible so I would just need to find some forks ..... eek!

So fingers crossed.

*Tony - I don't really blame you :LOL:

:D I'll be watching this build. That is a lovely frame and a excellent starting point. I hope this will be a off road rider WW build? As a road build will be even lighter. But thse are off road bikes.

Nice to see others getting the WW bug. Over mine now.

It will indeed be an off road build.

I have burlier builds to abuse so I am hoping that this will be dainty :oops: but 100% useable - Can't afford for it to be a garage queen!

It is an intoxication this weight weenie business - sadly something that will be halted by its huge costs!

A big lotto win and a WW could go mad. Would be a shops 'wet'dream :LOL:

Shame your tall ;) Avarage like me and it's a smaller frame :LOL: (if i wasn't in to Trimble that is)

tintin40":3ui3dy5i said:
A big lotto win and a WW could go mad. Would be a shops 'wet'dream :LOL:

Shame your tall ;) Avarage like me and it's a smaller frame :LOL: (if i wasn't in to Trimble that is)

The smaller versions of this frame only weigh 50g less than this one!

very cool,

is the frame an 'integrated headset' affair? and does it take a conventional BB, or something newer/fancier?

Watching with interest... :cool:

GT-Steve":dwtltppm said:
very cool,

is the frame an 'integrated headset' affair? and does it take a conventional BB, or something newer/fancier?

Watching with interest... :cool:

Integrated headset

Std BB

Frame arrived today ........ **** :shock:

The bubble wrapped it came in weighs more than the frame ...... Seriously! It did have a box too!!!

I need to replace some of the heli tape, get a new seatpost then it's built build build!

It's got a couple of nice touches like the front mech routing. The cable runs under the BB then through the frame .... Yes through the frame. Very neat :cool:

it is a bit un nerving the echo you get from tapping the frame :LOL:

Back