Single speed commuters / Scott Sub 50 / Vitus Vee 1

The_Grouch

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
So my pedal fell off on the way to work yesterday, and although far from terminal, there is a lot of other stuff needs doing to the Saracen, so I've been thinking about getting a new bike to ride to work on. Either 'new' new or second hand.

The 2011 Scott sub 50 looks like a great bike, of course they don't make it any more, but I've seen them for £280ish online, 'tis a bit out of budget though. I'm just wondering why there aren't more of this type of bike around? Hybrid Carrera Subway or Kona Dew type bikes, but single speed?

I've really enjoyed riding the Saracen as a single speed, but if I was getting another bike I don't really want to be bodging around with chain tensioners again. Any Ideas?

I've just discovered the Vitus Vee 1 from chain reaction, at £250 its still over budget, but it looks exactly what I'm after, right down to it coming with the same gear ratio I use at the moment!

Seriously considering ordering one tomorrow...

stewlewis":1n1e7kxb said:
The Carrera Subway Zero is a single speed 700c

Thats exactly the sort of thing I'm after, but like the Scott, its not made anymore. I'm guessing they didn't sell many then! Shame.

I'm still deciding between fix the Saracen (I reckon total parts cost about £80-£100 to get it in good shape, maybe a bit less if I can blag some free/cheap cranks) or buy Vitus Vee 1. Slight thing thats putting me off the Vee 1 is that I'm not sure about 26" wheels with 120mm hubs, bit of a strange size that, might be hard to get replacements in the future?

As much as I like the Vitus, I've decided now to fix the Saracen, mainly becuase after 17 years together I couldn't bear to get rid off it...

New cranks are on the way from someone on here, whilst I'm at it I'm having a new chain, chainring and bottom bracket, and I'm going to try to get the chainline somewhere near this time! Total cost will be around £60 so much less than a new bike, if somewhat less exciting.

Back