Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
cyfa2809 wrote:
Tintin thats a lot too!


:oops: i sold every thing i could to pay for it. Nearly put the wife on the game :lol: :lol:
Thank heavens for e-bay


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:40 am
Posts: 896
Location: Away wi the fairies
9k is obscene but I had a road bike in the shop that weighed 12lb but cost a few pence under 12k :shock:

Kinda puts me in mind of buggers lighting big fat cigars with £20 notes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:21 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Light weight is nice, but what good is it if the manufacturer is known for making the worst handling high-end bikes there are? I'm pretty sure a good £2-3K European bike can run circles around that thing when push comes to shove.

Sounds to me like that thing is marketed purely at people with lots of cash and no clue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:54 am 
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 pm
Posts: 9939
Location: ÜberUnderbidder
Raging_Bulls wrote:
Light weight is nice, but what good is it if the manufacturer is known for making the worst handling high-end bikes there are? I'm pretty sure a good £2-3K European bike can run circles around that thing when push comes to shove.

Sounds to me like that thing is marketed purely at people with lots of cash and no clue.


I agree, for that money, I'm getting something custom made for me, from a handmade manufacturer, with heritage and great attention to detail.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:19 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
I just googled the DT Swiss fork... am I right in seeing it's only £600?

For £9k I'd want the poshest SID or Fox available! Actually, as mentioned for £9k I'd want a bike that fits me like the Queens gloves fit one's hand :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:16 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:28 pm
Posts: 476
Location: Lahndon
Tony, the forks retails at north of a grand. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49622)

In regards to the overall bike, this is over the top, however, they have got to have a flagship for Marketing purposes alone, they probably sell <5 globally of this Model, although, if you want an off the peg sub 900 Gram frame your choices are limited to 1.

As for being known as the worst handling, I find that laughable, for what they are designed to do (Racing), they are brilliant at it and the amount of these at the start line of any decent XC race is testament to that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 4437
Location: Herts UK
stevec1975 wrote:
Tony, the forks retails at north of a grand. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=49622)

In regards to the overall bike, this is over the top, however, they have got to have a flagship for Marketing purposes alone, they probably sell <5 globally of this Model, although, if you want an off the peg sub 900 Gram frame your choices are limited to 1.

As for being known as the worst handling, I find that laughable, for what they are designed to do (Racing), they are brilliant at it and the amount of these at the start line of any decent XC race is testament to that.


The DT Siwss forks get bad comments due to their reliabilty, por rather lack of.

re: handling - I'd be surprised if that were true; the geometry is probably the same as any other hardtail so I canot see how they would handle worse (or better).

be interesting to see what the brakedown cost of the parts is and how much is added on top for kudos. (bit like the huge hike for the top Cannondale Scalpel Team Ulitmate).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Perth, WA
tintin40 wrote:
cyfa2809 wrote:
Tintin thats a lot too!


:oops: i sold every thing i could to pay for it. Nearly put the wife on the game :lol: :lol:
Thank heavens for e-bay


Why thank heavens for eBay? did you sell your wife on there instead? I though about selling mine.....definitely no refunds or returns though lol!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:35 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Posts: 21466
rockz631689 wrote:
tintin40 wrote:
cyfa2809 wrote:
Tintin thats a lot too!


:oops: i sold every thing i could to pay for it. Nearly put the wife on the game :lol: :lol:
Thank heavens for e-bay


Why thank heavens for eBay? did you sell your wife on there instead? I though about selling mine.....definitely no refunds or returns though lol!


:lol:
No i sold any bike parts i didn't want. Covered the price of my frame :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: money
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm
Posts: 473
[iits a lot of money grqnted,but my LBS, a specialized concept store has a couple of bikes around that price. If you can afford it and want it for the bragging rights great.

Personally I with the others I would want something very custom for that amount of money [/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 13, Anthony, bignick, BikerB, Bing [Bot], shinobi and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group