Best disc wheelset for around £150?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

I'm getting fed up with the poor performance on my Deore hubs and Mavic XM319 rims...Looking to upgrade to hopefully some hubs with sealed bearings and rims that are a bit lighter...any ideas? I was thinking about the Mavic Crossrides any experience of these?

Cheers

Doug

ok...so if you have a wheelset to sell that might fit the bill let me know! Must be in top nick though...

Cheers

Wook

Have a look at Superstar Components wheelsets

Great value for money

If it the hubs that are the problem get the wheels rebuilt with some SLX or XT M756 hubs. That should cost less than £150. Just give them a little TLC from time to time.

You can use the change then to buy and fit lighter tyres. That will save more weight than lighter rims. Also for £150 you are not likely to find a new pair of wheels that has rims much if any lighter than a Mavic 319.

XT hubs M756 ~£60 + wheel build. You may or may not need new spokes depending on the model of the deore hub. The M525 rear deore hub uses a shell with athe dimensions as the XT M756.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/ ... 0Specs.pdf

Hi

Thanks for the ideas...I've ended up getting some 2nd hand Mavic XM717 rims on new M756 XT hubs for a little over £100. As for weight I weighed the old 319 set (without tyres) and compared them with the new 717 set. And the 717 set was over 500 grams lighter! I probably could save a bit more weight with the tyres but I like the way they perform! (Maxxis High Rollers 2.1)

Cheers

Wook

Back