Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:56 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi
If you are after a decent quality carbon post they don't come much better value than the Carboncycles eXotic. I wanted a good carbon post, but the big red logo on the side of the eXotic post didn’t do it for me. Other than that though it was perfect - ti bolts and a good shape for clamping carbon seat rails.

I wrote to carboncycles and after a few emails back and forth they said they'd be able to do a special one-off post without the big red side logos, but it would be a lot more expensive and would take months to arrive. Not ideal.

A bit more searching and I found this post which has the eXotic post which had been sanded to remove the logo then relacquered: http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/c ... 66781.html

I figured I had nothing to lose so I bought a post and took a look at removing the logos. I started by masking off the seatpost scale and the black anodised aluminium top ring so they wouldn’t get scratched. With some fairly fine emery paper I gradually sanded the surface until I wore through the thin top clear layer and the logos quickly came off. This left the surface dull with fine scratches. The lacquer was still complete, I hadn’t worn down to the carbon fibres. So with very fine emery it was easy to smooth the scratches away under running water. The surface was a lot smoother, but still dull and flat.

I have some diamond lapping paste which is usually good at polishing out scratches on pretty much anything and after a few minutes hard polish the post was back to its original gloss finish. I’m sure t-cut or any other cutting / polishing compound would do the same. If you want to use the same stuff as me you can get it at RDG tools: http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/Diam ... Paste.html

I used the W2.5 and finished it with the W0.5, but you’d probably be ok with just the W2.5 and a bit of t-cut to finish.

The result was pretty good, and didn’t take long at all. Definitely worth a go. Take a look here if you want to see more pictures: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1517750
Hope you find this helpful.
Cheers
Rae

Attachments:
logo removed.jpg
logo removed.jpg [ 315.92 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

Good job. I wish carbon makers would stop using OTT logos like Trigon etc :x