Crank bros headsets, any good?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Does anybody have any good or bad reports about the Crank Bros headsets?
I need a new headset and they are heavily discounted on CRC at the mo.
Just wondered if they were heavily discounted because they are poop!! :D

Yep, I bought one from CRC and it is very good quality. Impressed with the satin finish and it is silky smooth turning. Can't advise on durability or longevity, but it looks pretty well made with an o-ring seal on the bottom to keep the crud out. The version I opted for is nice and light too.

Fitted it here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?p=1517750

Hope this helps with the decision :)
Rae

Grannygrinder":1iel7kev said:
Does anybody have any good or bad reports about the Crank Bros headsets?
I need a new headset and they are heavily discounted on CRC at the mo.
Just wondered if they were heavily discounted because they are poop!! :D

You guessed it. Some go rusty really quickly. They have developed a somewhat shabby reputation that will be hard to shake off.

The thing they have in their favour is their very low stack height - suppose they remove all the seals to manage this.... ah. Handy if you've got a short steerer though.

I bought one purely for it's low stack height... I was not impressed. I do like the look of other CB stuff though, including their quaint tech video how-tos

They achieve the low stack height by using small diameter ball-bearings...

...then people fit them to DH/Jump-style bikes and wonder why they don't last! :roll:

I fitted one to my Y2K Explosif so I could use the fork I had which alloy steerer was borderline too short and it's fine; but I prefer single track anyway ;)

Crank bros

I have a Crank bros iodine on my rigid 29er that I have abused for two years now. Rain ,snow ,mud and I have not had any problems other than the rubber o-ring designed to keep dirt out has broken in half. It still spins smooth and for the price I think it was well worth it.

We_are_Stevo talks sense, im guessing thats the reason why the get branded with the bad stick.

All makes sense now!

Back