Carbon bars - I SEEK THE TRUTH...

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Right, I've got myself a nice USE carbon Atom flat bar that I want to use on my rigid carbon forked (White Bros Rock Solid) bike. Carbon bars have always made me a bit nervous yet I've been using carbon forks for very extreme cyclocrossing for years.

So what I want to know is who is using a carbon bar on a rigid mtb and how long you've been using them for? I don't just want to know if anyone has snapped them. I actually want to know who has been using them without incident for a number of years.

Please no youtube of nasty accidents or tales of friends of friends... I am trying to get to the TRUTH (though obviously this in itself is a flawed concept).

Thanks

Rich

I've been using Easton Monkeybars on 2 bikes, one rigid, for the last 3 years without incident. They were both bought used...

Got some Easton EC70 flats on my rigid singlespeed (main bike, ridden offroad, not a commuter) - bought secondhand, enjoyed for 6 months now...

Thank you. That's the way...
I am loving your new signature Nick. Nice take on the old 'give a man a fish etc - give him a gigantic hoover and there'll be no fish left'.

Have been using them since 07 USE Atom in standard & OS The USE has no rider limits so a lovely stiff bar with a good weight of 120 grams area. I used a Schmolka bar at 74 grams also a lovely bar but 85 kg rider limit this flexed more so was more comfortable. It's doesn't have the 'dead' feel of alloy 6061 etc.

Carbon is great. Looks good under clear lacquer too.

Workmate has used monkey bars for a good 2 years now. No major abuse but theyre fine.

Gone is the age where we are scared to use carbon. Its a different animal now.

I still dont like carbon, it looks naff. Like weight of my mates truvativ t40 bar though, oh my thats nice! He has given that some stick for a few months. He loves them.

I seem to have snapped a carbon bar about 12 years ago. An Easton, IIRC
At least that's what the accident report pointed out as the cause of the crash. I still don't remember anything about that day, so I couldn't tell for sure.

I'm still fine with using carbon ... if it's on a bike that only gets ridden on good roads at a leisurely pace.
However if it's a bike I intend to ride hard, I wouldn't trust carbon on any major part (frame, fork, wheels, stem, handlebar, seat post, saddle, crankset)

Raging_Bulls":2u27tbe9 said:
However if it's a bike I intend to ride hard, I wouldn't trust carbon on any major part (frame, fork, wheels, stem, handlebar, seat post, saddle, crankset)

If its good enough for F1 designers, its good enough for me on a bike. I mean, when was the last time any of our components were subjected to lateral loading at 5G? Let alone deceleration impacts of several hundred G at up to 200mph.....

G

Back