blasted external bottom bracket....

Whatleymeister

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
managed to screw the non-drive side in by hand with a biiiiig dollop of copper slip and a tea towel round the bearing. The drive side though, I have about 3-4 turns to go and it just wont budge, no matter how thick the tea towel, the strength of profanity or interesting gurns I make. Had to buy a tool for it off ebay.

:evil: :evil:

Still, it only cost £7.70 for the tool, so its not all bad. Just when I look at it as the last 4 turns cost me £7!!

balls. :roll:

you can't be seriously telling me that you use a tea towel to fit a BB rather than an actual tool?

surely you jest? :shock:

jonnyboy666":1n95i9nm said:
you can't be seriously telling me that you use a tea towel to fit a BB rather than an actual tool?

Nope, not jesting, big dollop of copper slip, tea towel to protect my delicate hands/fingers :)lol:) and loads of elbow grease! Literally 4 turns off being in.

Probably gonna need the tool to nip up each side when done anyway, though the non drive side feels nice and snug.

Why? Am I doing something wrong, I wouldnt put it past me to miss something!!

jonnyboy666":3cme7941 said:

Makes me laugh when people moan about external bottom brackets and how rubbish they are when when I see stories like this. Honestly, what do people expect?

Whatleymeister":2mg01o5v said:
jonnyboy666":2mg01o5v said:

Nope, not jesting, big dollop of copper slip, tea towel to protect my delicate hands/fingers :)lol:) and loads of elbow grease! Literally 4 turns off being in.

Probably gonna need the tool to nip up each side when done anyway, though the non drive side feels nice and snug.

how dya turn allen bolts? :LOL: ;)

Dead Rats":ju5dhu0v said:
Whatleymeister":ju5dhu0v said:
jonnyboy666":ju5dhu0v said:

how dya turn allen bolts? :LOL: ;)
Using the power of thought alone!!

Russell":nfo17wsm said:
Probably :cool:

I will add at this point that a tool (courtesy of a friendly lbs, not a reference to me!) was going to be used to tighten the cups up properly anyway, just hoped I would get them all the way in by hand first, before you all assume that I just nip it up by hand and be done with it!! Never fitted an external bb before and figured it couldnt be too hard to get the cups in initially :roll:

I use old inner-tubes to open ketchup bottles, not tea towels. Always have proper tools for the job me. :LOL:

Back