Should I be doing anything before using NOS forks?

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive got a set of Marzocchi Z2 Flylights from 2000 that have never been used, still have the sticker covers on the lower legs! Question is should I be doing any maintanence procedures on these before they are used as they are now atleast 12 years old!??? Seems a shame to even chop the steerer! :oops:

were they from Winstanleys? Was shocked to see how old the NOS stuff on their website is, think there were some Z5 and Z2 on there

Dead Rats":1s3u3y01 said:
were they from Winstanleys? Was shocked to see how old the NOS stuff on their website is, think there were some Z5 and Z2 on there
They were, I bought them from there about a year ago.

Do they squish down and rebound ok? Might be worth standing them upside down for a bit to let oil circulate? All very technical advice I know :LOL:

Whilst almost completely indestructible I would consider an oil change and an internal clearout.

They could be fine but for the 30minutes or so it takes I would do it.

Seals could have perished but before stripping them for new oil leave them upside down for 24-48hrs then once back upright cycle the forks through their travel a few times.

Chances are if they aren't leaving a load of oil on the uppers and haven't spewed oil everywhere from being upturned you should be fine.

They are easy to take to bits, instructions on Marzocchi website, possibly some in the archive and also some similar on enduro seals website.

But if they are holding air then the seals are perfect as the only place oil is sat is inside the stanchion. There is a touch in the lower leg with the air for lubrication.

Personally I would be tempted to release the air, undo the bolts at the bottom and drain the little bit of oil (or pull the legs out) and then put back together with some fresh fork oil (jut the lubrication) and fork grease to just make sure they are lubricated and any fork grease has not gone hard. You can just inspect both seals at this point if you want.
Then pump them up and get tweaking the pressure and damping setting for you while out riding.

P,S, I'm assuming they are X-Fly and not Flylights as you say they are Z2's ?

Back