Sticking Magura Julie levers

A_Venables

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ive noticed that the lever for the rear disc brake is sticking alittle (doesnt seem to spring back after applying the brakes) compared with the front. Is there something like a spring likely to be missing? Or is it going to be in need of some oil, grease, etc? Ive never really messed with bike disc brakes before, the bike Ive only had a few months and is obviously second hand. These certainly dont feel as good as my Hope M4/M6 and Magura HS33 brakes on my other bikes. I did change the pads on the back disc, if that makes any diifference? Help! :?:

Noticed any leaking? I would think it's one of the seals in the lever. You could try bleeding it before going any further.

Unfortunately Magura don't sell seal kits for their brakes. Not sure if this is a Shimano-style "just not serviceable" or what. When I talked to Magura the (very nice) rep seemed to suggest that Magura thinks we're all too thick to take their levers apart and reassemble them properly. However, you can replace the master cylinder. Not sure if Magura will sell you this or if you have to send it back to them - really, at that point, it's as cheap to buy another lever.

That sounds a bit pessimistic, doesn't it? I'd be tempted to take the lever apart, give the bits a clean and reassemble it. It's mineral oil so the seals might not be so bad.

Start with the simple things first like taking the pivot bolt out and give it a clean then put it back not too tight mind. I had worst case scenario in mind when my hs levers wernt snapping back. Was pivot bolts on the levers :roll:

Think I will try the pivot bolts, funny thing is the lever seems to be working fine this morning! :roll: Thanks for the replys!

Time for a brake bleed, I would think, or you can try this -

Position the lever on the bars with the reservoir horizontal.
Pull the lever as if braking and secure it like this with a cable tie or something.
Leave it like this for several hours - tap the brake line from time to time, with a spanner or something, to help dislodge entrapped air.
Remove the cable tie and slowly pump the lever a few times then give the lever a few quick flicks.
Remove the reservoir cover and top up the brake fluid (note - mineral oil ONLY).

If this doesn't improve things then bleed the brake but check for any leaks first as otherwise you'll be wasting your time.

Back