Tyre choice

Stoddys

Old School Hero
Ok I've not been serious on a bike since I used panaracer dart and smoke.
Now when I look it seems tyres are 2.2
What's that all about?
I ride on dry dirt and road.
I need suggestions please.
Chris

Living in Cyprus, you'll have dry conditions, hardpack and loose stuff on top hardpack. I'd be trying Hutchinson Pythons (26x 2), Maxxis Ignitors (26x2.1), Maxxis Larsen TTs, Kenda Small Block 8s and Conti Race Kings. Those types of tyres give nice air volume, supple feel and a fast rolling tread. (the Contis are dead cheap and works well) . No need for big aggressive knobs like Smoke n Darts had :)

Wish i was there! :cool:

Thanks for the input, am I correct in thinking I might have problems with the bigger tyre because I have v brakes.
My bike is a 99 Klein attitude.
I have been surfing the web and was thinking about Michelin dry2 2.1" ll the reviews seem to rate the rolling speed as good.
Any experience of these?
Cheers Chris
Happy to be here but I do miss the greeness of uk :D :(

Y11 by Pumpkin's Belly, on Flickr

2.2 Race Kings on my old Trek - no problems at either end - a V brake will clear bigger tyres than them just fine.

No experience of the Michys, sorry. Although they are still around, Michelin aren't a major player in the MTB tyre market; you might struggle to find someone who's used them for an honest opinion :?

:)

+1 of Conti race kings and if you can find any conti mountain kings 2.0" the no longer made no but some NOS may be available. I have a couple NOS and a couple but I am in the U.K.

Please keep the ideas comming, they will have to be mail order any way as I went to three shops today and I was offered some Chinese 1.75 very good tires sir just 8 euro each.
Thanks reluctant for the info on clearance.

Changeling the subject a bit.
Handle bar grips.
Mine seem original they are dead comfy and sticky.
But they have had it.
I am drifting towards odi rogue but some say they are a little fat?

Stoddys":3j5tggfq said:
I have been surfing the web and was thinking about Michelin dry2 2.1" ll the reviews seem to rate the rolling speed as good.
:(

I use Michelin XC Dry 2 tyres in when I'm in Greece, 2.35" on the front and 2.1" on the back, only because I don't have clearance on my frame for anything larger.
I'm using them ghetto tubeless, because otherwise thorn punctures would be a nightmare - if you only ride dirt roads it might not be a problem for you but I'm always scratching around off-piste. ;)

Attachments

• Kilauea-2010.jpg
    Kilauea-2010.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 502
New tyre question

I have the original Bontrager race rims, is tubeless an option? What fan dangle kit do I need to get.

Re: New tyre question

Stoddys":2yd167bh said:
I have the original Bontrager race rims, is tubeless an option? What fan dangle kit do I need to get.

A couple of 20x2.125" inner tubes, preferably with removable cores and some Stan's tubeless tyre sealant - this is for the so-called "ghetto" method, and a good track pump. Plus a syringe or two (20ml) from your local Φαρμακείο - you can manage without but it makes it easier.
If you do a search there are quite a few YouTube videos showing how this all works.
The Michelin XC Dry 2's work a treat like this, or at least they do on Mavic 717 rims.

Back