Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

I am too short at 5'7"! :LOL:

You just cannot get the wheels in the right place (e.g. no toe overlap) without making the frame scale up. So I suspect you have to be somewhere closer to 5'10" for the geometry to be right and reach to be sensible.

My pal's Peace 9er rigid singlespeed simply seems to roll faster than my rigid Cindercone even though mine has far nicer hubs.

I've had a singlespeed Mongoose 29er for a few years now and have done 1000s of miles on it commuting.

There's no doubt it was very fast but it did leave me quite tired after each run, maybe I just don't have the power to drive the larger wheel or something. Also, it's dimensionally massive, I really couldn't imagine riding off road seriously on it or getting air on it.

I do think 650 will be the wheel for the future of MTB, just bigger than a 26 to have the advantages of the rolling etc but not too big to cause issues with geometry etc.

I'm interested to hear other folks views on this as well as it does look like the 26 wheel MTB is going to be phased out soon with manufacturers stopping to make them etc.

Neil G":1v2x05yx said:
it does look like the 26 wheel MTB is going to be phased out soon with manufacturers stopping to make them etc.
I think that might take a while, at least at the low end and with full-suspension, but I did notice that Rocky Mountain no longer makes a 26er Vertex, or 650b, Vertex is now only 29er.

The ad men, mags can tell the 'sheep' what to ride.

I'll keep riding what i want and that is a rigid 26er with rim brakes.

Anthony":10yf7u0i said:
Neil G":10yf7u0i said:
it does look like the 26 wheel MTB is going to be phased out soon with manufacturers stopping to make them etc.
I think that might take a while, at least at the low end and with full-suspension, but I did notice that Rocky Mountain no longer makes a 26er Vertex, or 650b, Vertex is now only 29er.

WHAT!
Thats crazy although i cant see it disappearing - its age old like square taper bb's.

Didn't like my mate's 29er tbh. Was a bit small for me and ss but the wheels felt all wrong and I was sure I was going to bash my feet on them. Not for me.

tintin40":3k203ptj said:
The ad men, mags can tell the 'sheep' what to ride.

I'll keep riding what i want and that is a rigid 26er with rim brakes.

Do you dislike them just because the ad men and mags are trying to sell them, or do you have any other reasons?

26 works. I see no reason to change. If people can't ride it then get fitter. It's about fitness of the rider. A fit rider will be faster no matter what he is riding.

not interested in starting a fight but I have noticed that a lot more enduro races are being won on 29ers and I do like mine (I know the thread is for negative not positive) but I agree- a bike for the bigger riders. Plus I do think you have to like the more perched position. Tis weird at first and the front wheel can feel a bit to unweilldy at first but I did get used to it pretty quick. Like the fact you can get some nice fat tyres at low pressure so a rigid fork still works over the bumpy stuff.

Back