X0/X9 help

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just snagged an XO rear mech and XO shifters finally. Will replace the x7 shifters and X9 rear mech on my s works

three little problems i've come up against

1) the lower jockey wheel on the new mech is very worn - could i simply swop in the jockeys off my x9 mech?

2) the aluminium closing cap on the x0 shifters on one side isn't screwing in properly and i'm paranoid about stripping the threads - any tips?

3) I'm not 100% sure i should be using a short cage mech (the new one is) Could i get a longer cage for it? easy to come by?

:?

trickylad":2wohs5ap said:
Just snagged an XO rear mech and XO shifters finally. Will replace the x7 shifters and X9 rear mech on my s works

three little problems i've come up against

1) the lower jockey wheel on the new mech is very worn - could i simply swop in the jockeys off my x9 mech?

2) the aluminium closing cap on the x0 shifters on one side isn't screwing in properly and i'm paranoid about stripping the threads - any tips?

3) I'm not 100% sure i should be using a short cage mech (the new one is) Could i get a longer cage for it? easy to come by?

:?
As far as I know the jockey wheels are different between X0 & X9, so not interchangeable

Do you mean the big silver screw on the shifter? checked the threads are OK? Not cross threaded is it? Not had any problems with these yet myself.

What chainset & cassette ratio's are you using? Is the mech super short, or medium, both come with carbon cages

Don't think it's worthwhile financially swapping cages over that's if you can do it & if the parts are not eye wateringly expensive if they are available. I can check later if Fisher have stock of them

Thanks Andy

I've done a bit of searching and matching on CRC and it's a bit puzzling

Firstly i don't know the year of my XO mech which doesn't help

so the jockeys on my X9 mech look like this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6520

and the worn ones on my X0 mech look like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49733

so it would seem that they 'might' be interchangeable... if short cage isn't right i don't want to spend £30 on jockey wheels you can imagine

Re: the aluminium screw - yes that's the one. it came out perfectly smoothly so i might just need to tease it back in carefully

Re: mech. I'm running 3x9 and will get the gear ratios - i also don't think a cage change is a good idea - will be expensive i imagine too.

i got the mech and the shifters for an amazingly good all in price so buying another might defeat the purpose a bit...

TL

this is a pic of the mech i have - from what i can tell it's a 2008 X0

This seems to have the simpler jockey wheels above, not the fancy cut-out ones...

Attachments

• x0_rearderailleur_med_large.jpg
    x0_rearderailleur_med_large.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 311
Some of the older X9 mechs have this type of jockey wheel, with 2 mounting holes on the top wheel

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7316

If your X9 wheels have this style then they're not interchangeable. I think it's only the last year or two of X9's that use the other type

I had a medium length X0 on my Cube AMS, which had a 3x9 set up (11/32T cassette & 22/32/44t rings)

Medium cage Sram mech's will work with 3x9, but in the big/big & small/small gear combo's (which you shouldn't use anyway) they do struggle a bit

You can get quite a few aftermarket jockey wheels for your XO, BBB Rollerboys are good, KCNC do the nice bling alloy cartridge bearing ones too.

Pity you can't get them (apart from BBB or Sram) for older X9's as I have a couple of them on my bikes

i've taken the two jockeys out of my x-9. the top one is exactly as on your link (2005 model). The bottom one though has the hole in the middle just like those in the pic of the X0 mech, i might give it a go

will have a look at new but i've got very little cash left this month.. :evil:

Latest posts

Back